Dail-up connection problems (W98SE)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by karlengel, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. karlengel

    karlengel Guest

    My broadband provider is down, so I tried to use dial-up with a
    different ISP that I still have a valid account with. This all used to
    work fine, but now I've encountered problems.

    On trying to dial, I get:
    Error 666(!!). The modem is not plugged in or out of service. Connect
    a modem to your computer and try again.

    In Device Manager>Network Adapters I have listed, as well as my
    ethernet card:

    Dial-Up adapter (Exclamation mark on the icon)- Properties: The
    NTKERN.VXD device loader(s)for this device could not load the device
    driver. (Code 2)
    Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)- Properties: This device is working
    properly.

    I don't recall ever seeing two dial-up adapters before, and the
    computer obviously isn't using or can't use this second one.

    Both dial-up adapters are listed as Microsoft, the drivers are from
    1998 & 99 respectively.

    I see no reference to Modems at all in Device Manager>View devices by
    type.

    In Control Panel>Modems is listed:

    56K Voice Modem

    Diagnostics:

    COM1 No modem installed
    COM2 56K Voice Modem > More Info > Couldn't open port.

    Giving up on this computer, and with urgent emails to send, I fired up
    the dial-up on my XP laptop which I adamantly keep UNconnected, it's
    used solely for audio production.

    While this connected & let me surf OK (with updated Zone Alarm) my
    Outlook Express would not let me put anything in the body of an email
    or attach anything. The cursor simply would not register anywhere
    below the To: & Subject: windows. Again I have used this before
    without a problem.

    I eventually sent my emails via the ISP's web gateway, but these are
    serious issues I would like to resolve and don't know where to start.

    karlengel, Sep 1, 2005

  2. --

    Remove the modem's from the device manager, close the computer down and
    physically plug that baby into a different PCI slot. When you boot up, you
    should get a "found new hardware" wizard. I would also disable Zone Alarm
    temporarly to see if that helps. The modem driver that says 1998 and 1999
    are not the actual driver dates, those are the manufacture date of the
    driver.

    Rob Burghdoff, Sep 1, 2005