    very good pictures, but I´m still struggling with it. It´s not a PS printer,
    so I think you can´t "hang" a profile on it. But I sure would like to know
    some more about it.

    Sosumi, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Sosumi

    gowanoh Guest

    Adobe RGB is only available for RAW images.
    No sharpening or any other processing is applied in camera to raw image
    data. You perform those operations yourself later in software.
    JPEG processing truncates the sesnor data down to 8 bits and significantly
    restricts color and dynamic range.
    JPEG cannot accomodate the entire color range of the Adobe RGB color range.
    Adobe sRGB is a more limited color space that is best for jpegs.
    The D80 has a plethora of jpeg processing options but they are all still
    jpeg and you will get better results if you learn to process your own raw
    images if you are not satisfied with the results you are getting with jpegs.
    If you are using a color laser printer you will probably get better prints
    using a minilab or printing kiosk.
    If you want to pursue digital image processing of raw images you would
    probably best be served by learning to use a program like Adobe Elements and
    obtaining almost any midrange inkjet photoprinter.

    gowanoh, Aug 24, 2007

  3. If it works anything like my D70 and D200, it only affects the image in JPEG
    form. It does affect the RAW metadata. In RAW, the colorspace is just there
    to instruct RAW what colorspace to use for conversion ... you are free to
    change this anytime after you have taken the picture. With JPEG, of course,
    it is too late to change after the picture was taken unless you are willing to
    take the loss via a colorspace transformation (meaning some color values may
    already have been clipped in JPEG because of the colorspace chosen in camera).

    You can embed a color profile into a JPEG if you desire, or you can just
    indicated in the JPEG what color profile was used when it was created [the
    latter is far more typical as the file will be much smaller].

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Aug 24, 2007
  4. Sosumi

    Jim Guest

    There really is no such thing as a PS printer.
    If you wish the printer to detemine how to print, then you send it sRGB
    file, and enable color management in the printer driver (if there is any
    such item in your printer).
    If you wish your favorite editing program to determine how to print, you
    tell the program to send the printer an RGB file which the program has
    determined how
    to convert from AdobeRGB to the pinter RGB. In this case, you enable color
    management in the printer driver.

    I use AdobeRGB as a working profile.

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 24, 2007