    Perhaps I should look at financial situation of both companies to make
    sure they will be in business 5 years from now... does anyone have
    information about this?

    chibitul, Mar 4, 2004

  2. chibitul

    Christian Guest

    I don't think it should really matter that you like the size of the istD
    better. Remember it's an SLR so ultimately it's those large, bulky lenses
    and accessories that will determine how hard it is to carry around. If you
    want a portable camera then buy a digicam.
    Personally if I were in your place I would choose Nikon over Pentax. I think
    they have better lenses and better technology. Having said that, if you
    have no existing system investment then why aren't you considering Canon?
    My personal feeling is that they are currently leading the other DSLR
    manufacturers in most areas (this is obviously a highly debatable,
    controversial point - don't bother arguing with me, just do the research
    and make up your own mind) so, considering you have little system
    investment and you are about to invest in a long-term system of lenses
    etc., I think you probably should consider them. The EOS 10D is about the
    same price as an istD and is arguably a better camera and EOS is
    undoubtedly a better system. I think your real choice should be between
    Nikon and Canon rather than Nikon and Pentax.

    Christian, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Really. Both have a spot meter and two control dials: HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you like fast primes, the Pentax 24/2.0 and 50/1.4 are very nice lenses,
    but Nikon probably has a better overall selection of lenses.

    One thing to watch out for is that the *istD is quite small, and I find hard
    to hold. If you have long scrawny hands, you might not like the *istD. On
    the other hand<g>, if you have smaller hands it may be easier to hold than
    the D70. FWIW, I find the 300D perfect for my hands.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Mar 4, 2004
  4. chibitul

    fake name Guest

    [snip]
    I have quite small hands (and also small feet, in the US size 7 1/2 !!!
    I have a hard time finding shoes, LOL!!!). So I think i woudl like the
    istD's size. FWIW, I have a Pentax Zx-5n which is also quite small...

    fake name, Mar 4, 2004
  5. chibitul

    fake name Guest

    [snip]
    Hmm, I like to support the "undergod"... I use a Macintosh, I drive a
    manual car... I am that kind of guy...

    would love a "digital film" that you can load into a 35 mm camera, any
    camera (I know about the vaporware... don't even mention it)
    Sure, 10D is a great camera, but I think Canon lenses seem more
    expensive and 10D is quite heavy.

    fake name, Mar 4, 2004
  6. chibitul

    Christian Guest

    Ok, but neither driving a manual car nor using a Macintosh mean you're in
    any way worse of. Choosing the best possible camera and camera system for
    your needs seems quite a different thing to me. If you're deliberately
    ignoring a candidate you feel is actually superior (or at least could be!)
    because you want to support the underdog seems a bit strange!
    Again, you're missing the point. The 10D is heavier than the D70 but only by
    150g which isn't very much. And that's just the body! Add on a lens and the
    difference is negligible. Add on three or more lenses that you're going to
    carry around regularly and it's completely irrelevant. Buying one camera
    system over another because one particular body happens to be 150g lighter
    is even stranger than buying one you think is inferior because you want to
    be fair! As for Canon lenses being more expensive, I was actually under the
    impression that they were cheaper than most of Nikon's. But I'm not that
    familiar with the Nikon lens line-up so I could be wrong. In any case, the
    Sigma/Tamron etc. lenses will be the same for both.

    I'm not trying to pressure you into buying Canon over Nikon/Pentax but I
    think since you are shopping for an entire system, not just a single body,
    you should consider the "big picture".

    Christian, Mar 4, 2004
  7. chibitul

    Lung Fish Guest

    I am going through the same questioning right now. I have some Pentax K-
    mount lenses and some Nikond F-mount lenses and at least one film body for
    each. Most of these lenses are manual focus, so I may be losing metering
    functions for both systems on the new digital bodies anyway.

    I think that long-term you are going to find more options available in the
    Nikon line, which is what is drawing me in that direction. There are
    fantastic Pentax lenses out there (I have a 50/1.4 autofocus), but I could
    always make the leap over to Nikon without losing too large a kit.

    Lung Fish, Mar 4, 2004
  8. chibitul

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    The "big picture" is that the D70 is a much better camera than
    the 300D, i.e. you get a LOT more for your $999. As for the
    system, you can find good lenses on both sides. Yeah, Canon
    has more IS lenses, but Nikon is catching up. Nikon makes a
    12-24 zoom, Canon doesn't. Sigma EX lenses are getting
    better and better but guess what, with Canon you never know
    if they're going to work with your particular camera. OTOH they
    will work with every Nikon in current production.

    Paolo Pizzi, Mar 4, 2004
  9. chibitul

    Sloopy Guest

    I'll bet it must be hard for you to find condoms that are small enough
    to fit.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Mar 4, 2004
  10. chibitul

    fake name Guest

    This girl said whe won't sleep with me unless I have a 10 inch dick. I
    told her "Sorry, but I won't cut off two inches for anybody!"

    Seriously though, it's not the size that matters, but how you use it.
    Ask any lady, she will confirm this :) check the internet for penis size
    distribution and you will see the curve... I am to the right side :)

    fake name, Mar 4, 2004
  11. chibitul

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu,
    Welcome to my killfile.

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  12. chibitul

    Christian Guest

    I'm not talking about the D70. I'm talking about the 10D. In any case, it
    seems a safe bet that the 300D will have better image quality than the D70.
    Oh, and you can actually go out and buy a 300D. Unlike the D70. But I'm not
    going to get into a stupid debate about this here. All I'm saying is that
    he should be considering Canon in addition to Nikon.

    Christian, Mar 5, 2004
  13. chibitul

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:13:28 +0800, Christian
    It does? How so? I expect the D70 to be competitive in image quality --
    I can't imagine that Nikon would come out with something that's significantly
    inferior to 6 MP Canon, which has been a known target for some time.
    It all depends on how soon it's needed. I think the D70 looks to be quite a
    bit better than the 300D, and I have no urgency, so I personally would wait,
    but (as always) YMMV.
    With all due respect, that seems to be what you're doing. ;-)

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  14. chibitul

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    A safe bet for a Canon zealot who could never in a million years accept
    the simple concept that some non-Canon products can actually be better
    than Canon. Reality seems to be quite the opposite.
    The D70 has been out is several parts of the world since March 1st.
    The US release will be next week.
    Sure, he should consider Canon even when the equivalent Nikon
    product is clearly better... Just because you would like Canon to
    become the Microsoft of photography...

    Paolo Pizzi, Mar 5, 2004
  15. chibitul

    leo Guest

    Not until Nikon is developing it's own sensor. The Canon has lower noise
    level than than Sony's.

    leo, Mar 5, 2004
  16. chibitul

    Vernon Davis Guest

    What are you talking about here?....repairing ?

    Vernon Davis, Mar 5, 2004
  17. chibitul

    John Navas Guest

    In <0RS1c.22127$> on Fri, 05 Mar
    Really? Which Sony sensor is Nikon using? What noise reduction? What tests
    have you run or even seen? Or are you just engaging in negative speculation?
    Oh, and by the way, Sony isn't the only producers of sensors.

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  18. chibitul

    leo Guest

    At least the D100 and D70 use the Sony sensor, along with Pentax istD. The
    Canon CMOS does indeed have less noise, perhaps they have a better noise
    reduction scheme. The test result of 10D, 300D and D100 was on the dpreview
    site.

    leo, Mar 5, 2004
  19. chibitul

    John Navas Guest

    In <wP02c.22560$> on Fri, 05 Mar
    Which one?

    What about my other questions?

    John Navas, Mar 5, 2004
  20. For DSLRs, there's really not a lot of choice: Kodak/Fill Factory, Sony
    or er... Foveon (spit). Fuji and Canon keep their imagers private.

    And the Konica-Minolta Digital Dynax 9.
    No noise reduction. Otherwise its for the original poster to say...

    --Sophie

    Sophie Wilson, Mar 5, 2004