    picture. Am I right or am I right? what you see is what you get, bearing in
    mind most view finders only get 90% on the field of view.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Mike,

    Any chance that it is the viewfinder mask that isn't fitted square? What
    happens if you line up the body of the camera aginst an edge?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 2, 2004

  3. MikeS

    adm Guest

    Measure both your legs and see if one os shorter than the other.

    adm, Jul 2, 2004
  4. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    MikeS, Jul 2, 2004
  5. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    It did occur to me when I first noticed it but the Nikon technician decided
    to change the ccd.
    I'll try and set the camera up I have a spirit level my tripod but the
    mounting bit can tilt and swivel so I need a spirit level on the base of the
    camera, I've got a small spirit level I use to level my caravan will give it
    a go with that. Its an issue but it can be corrected in Photoshop. A bit of
    a inconvenience.

    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 2, 2004
  6. []
    I was thinking of an alignment by eye, rather than spirit level. You must
    have a straight edge in the house somewhere - window edge or something.
    Set the camera up exactly in front of that edge, so that a line from the
    lens to the edge is at 90 degrees, and then align the body by eye with the
    edge. Look in the viewfinder and take a picture - see if either is
    "correct".

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 2, 2004
  7. MikeS

    IMKen Guest

    Go into the menu and set the grid to show in the view finder. use those
    lines for your alignment rather than the edge of the view finder.

    For insurance use a tripod to support the camera and take your time insuring
    visual alignment. If it is not true send the camera back and insist on an
    exchange.

    Ken

    IMKen, Jul 2, 2004
  8. MikeS

    Crownfield Guest

    instead, try lining up the image of anything with a sort of horizontal
    line
    with the edge of the viewfinder.
    if the viewfinder shows it aligned with the edge of the frame,
    but the final image does not,
    then either the sensor or the viewfinder has a problem.

    the level idea may not work.
    If the camera is level, but the horizon is of a mountain slope...

    Crownfield, Jul 2, 2004
  9. How much is the error? No camera is going to have perfect rotational
    alignment between camera base, sensor, and finder frame, because there
    are always errors in mechanical systems.

    If the error is several degrees, I think you have grounds for complaint.
    If it's only a few arc seconds, you don't.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 2, 2004
  10. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message SNIP
    Just taking an image of the camera in a mirror should reveal alignment
    errors.
    Put the camera on a table holding a mirror in front of it, check the mirror
    image in the viewfinder, and after the shot on LCD and in the file.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 2, 2004
  11. MikeS

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Are you 100% sure it is the camera? I for one think Nikon Service (at least
    in Melville) is the crapper of all factory service centers, but every
    picture I take without careful use of a level is tilted because I have an
    astigmatism - in fact when I try to compensate for it, things come out more
    tilted - and this might be your problem too. Take a picture of a known level
    edge (use a level to make sure) with a positively leveled camera and see
    what you get.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jul 2, 2004
  12. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    size formate naturaly one gets the image square in the view finder but, on
    inspection when post prosessing in photoshop it was tilted.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 2, 2004
  13. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    more
    It does not mater if you have an asigmatism if you frame a A3 or any
    rectangle in the view finder and frame the A3 rectangle in the retangle of
    the view finder at least one of the sides should be parallel MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 2, 2004
  14. MikeS

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Happened to me with my first digital camera, an Olympus C1400. All
    images would turn out tilted when framing with the optical viewfinder.

    I then stopped using optical viewfinders and since then instead rely on
    the LCD screen to frame. At least there is no tilted image.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 2, 2004
  15. MikeS

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    dSLR VF is TTL: Should be no tilt unless focal plane is tilted or the
    viewfinder pentamirror is somehow misaligned (not sure that's possible).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jul 3, 2004
  16. i second that sentiment that nikon melville sucks. i sent them a coolpix
    with a lcd problem, waited 8 weeks to get it back, they said that they
    replaced all sorts of parts, but the camera demonstrated exactly the same
    problem it had when it first went to them... three months later, just
    outside of the repair warranty preiod, the entire lcd failed. when i wrote
    the president i was passed on to their legal department... you can't get
    any lower that having your lawyer pretend to address customer satisfaction
    issues.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 3, 2004
  17. Normally, to really check I take a spirit level across the hot shoe
    and then use a 5 foot straight edge that is also leveled. The line
    should match the top and bottom of the frame. If it does then images
    of same should also match.

    Pretty much like setting up for copies, or panoramas. I use a level.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jul 3, 2004
  18. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Snip Snip etc,
    Thanks All,
    I'll check the camera out using a spirit level on the top of the tripod, on
    the bit that the camera is screwed onto, and check it out that way if it's a
    problem Nikon get the camera back.
    Thanks for your feed back MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 3, 2004
  19. Mine got confused at to what it was supposed to focus on. It'd get it
    right about 20% of the time. OTOH I probably use manual at least 50%
    of the time so I only lost 30%...if all that makes sense.

    Actually my 24 to 120 lens quit focusing to infinity a couple weeks
    back. So I sent that in. $240. Then about a week later the camera
    got confused. So, it went in. If your time is typical I should have
    it back in about another week...except for the holidays.

    Roger Halstead, Jul 4, 2004
  20. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Snip Snip
    To day I removed the lens and compared it to My film Nikon F50 and it looks
    as though its the mirror on the D70 that's tilted. As you know the D70 has
    assentric adjustment allen key nuts one for Auto and one Manual focus
    adjustments when the mirror is down the reflection of the pentaprism
    groundglass screen on my camera is tilted comparing it to the F50. On the
    f50 the adjustment allen nuts are in the left looking into the mirror
    assembly where as the D70 are on the right. I'm surprised that the
    technician did not pick this up. because on reflection (sorry) is more
    likley to be the penatprism or the Mirror miss-alignment than the CCD.
    So its going back asap. Hopefully it will not take two weeks this time.
    Perhaps it was suggesting that the CCD was tilted that threw the technician.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 4, 2004