    battery after a full charge?
    TIA,
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 17, 2004

  2. []
    battery should be used before an update attempt is made. Does it use that
    much power.

    Don, that's just to stop the update failing through low power, with the
    firmware being in a half-old / half-new status - i.e. useless!! I tend to
    do those updates either with completely fresh batteries or with the camera
    powered from the mains.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 17, 2004

  3. Don F

    [BnH] Guest

    Depending on your snapping behaviour ... if you do a lot of chimping .. the
    battery will degrade.
    Some D70 user in Singapore reported that they are able to max around 1000 to
    1200 snaps before the battery runs out.

    so if you took less than 100 pix directly and it already runs out ... there
    is something wrong with your batt.
    but if you took 10 one day .. and other 10 in other day ... the battery will
    lose its charge.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 17, 2004
  4. Don F

    Don F Guest

    "[BnH]" <b18ATiinetDOTnetDOTaus> wrote in message

    --------------
    That's me (and I'll bet there are many others like me). The number of
    pictures I take will increase as I get higher on the D70 learning curve.
    I guess a good question that would benefit us casual users is "What is the
    shelf life of a fully charged D70 Li-Ion battery?"
    Anyone know?
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 17, 2004
  5. Don F

    Don F Guest

    I think I found the answer to my battery drain. (I should have checked the
    manual before posting.)
    The D70 puts a "small ??" drain on the battery while it is plugged into
    the camera. I don't know what the drain is (I would sure like to know) but
    if the drain is 2 ma then that is 48 mAH per day and 1440 mAH per month.
    The capacity of the D70 EN-EL3 battery is 1400 mAH. So a fully charged
    battery will completely discharge itself in 30 days just sitting in the
    camera with an *assumed* 2 ma drain.
    Does anyone have the equipment (and time) to measure the D70 battery
    drain in the camera while idle? Does 2 ma seem reasonable?
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 17, 2004
  6. Don F

    [BnH] Guest

    Wow .... i wonder what they process they use with that 2mA ...
    also that process will be accelerated if you are in a cold country as Li Ion
    don't exactly like cold weather.

    I remembered my old S1 Pro mirror stuck as the CR123 battery was frozen.
    luckily 15 mins inside my jacket heals it ... :D

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 17, 2004
  7. Don F

    paul Guest

    Don,
    I think the drain is the USB interface. My experience is that when you
    have your D70 connected to the PC the batterie will go dead superfast...

    So I will go buy a card reader soon for my PC.

    Paul

    paul, Jul 17, 2004
  8. Don F

    Don F Guest

    ------------------
    Paul,
    The battery drain is not caused by the USB port in my case. I have never
    used the USB port with the D70 ... I always use the CF card reader. The
    card reader is fast, reliable, and uses no camera battery power.
    Don

    Don F, Jul 17, 2004
  9. I completely drained my battery overnight because I left it plugged
    into the USB cable with the power on. I didn't even think of the
    possibility it would drain the battery quickly this way.

    After a few seconds of panic that I somehow fried the camera I put in
    the backup battery and everything worked great :)

    "I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have a cigarette
    lighter and a wife...and they both work!"

    Cadillac_Jones, Jul 17, 2004
  10. Don F

    Don F Guest

    Don F, Jul 17, 2004
  11. Don F

    paul Guest

    Dan,

    Two remarks:

    1) manual says that batteries do not have the memory effect. Therefore it
    is not needed any more to completly drain the battery before charging.

    2) you do not need to leave it connected overnight, a few hours on the USB
    is enough to drain the battery. At least that is my experience.

    Paul

    paul, Jul 18, 2004
  12. Don F

    larrylook Guest

    Some say one should completely discharge for first 3 cycles and I plan to do
    this - even though lithium batteries don't have memory effect. This info
    is around on the web. Haven't any others heard this?

    larrylook, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Many would not consider "being found on the web" as a sure fire
    recommendation. <:))

    And... No, I've not seen any legit info on doing this with lithium
    batteries. I stuck the battery out of my D-70 into the charger for 3
    hours, and have not run it flat yet. I just make sure it gets topped
    off every month or so.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jul 20, 2004
  14. The evil nasty proprietary batteries are soooo flipping amazing.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Don F

    Charlie Self Guest

    larrylook responds:
    No. I haven't heard it. For NiMH, it takes from one to five charges to bring
    them to full capacity, but there's no need to drain the batteries. Lithium
    batteries may work the same way, but there's still no need to drain them.

    Charlie Self
    "When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight
    D. Eisenhower

    Charlie Self, Jul 20, 2004
  16. Don F

    Don F Guest

    -------------------------
    Larry,
    Remember my original post questioned the condition of the batteries *I
    have* and questioned how battery life is effected by use. Page 205 of the
    D70 manual gives some information on differences on battery life with types
    of use. Remember my battery died after ~89 shots (which were spread over
    about a month) as opposed to 500 to 1000 shots by others.
    Two things could happen in a month.
    The battery could drain from the small amount of current used even when
    the camera is turned off. Nikon issues a warning to remove the battery when
    the camera will not be used for a long time but what is a "long time"?
    A fully charged battery has a shelf life. This is an unknown for the
    Nikon EN-EL3 battery.
    This is my *first* battery cycle and I am trying to find out if I have a
    *bad* battery. I just want to know what to expect ... not with a *bad*
    battery but a *good* one.
    Hope this helps.
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 20, 2004
  17. Don F

    paul Guest

    No you said 89 shots + firmware update....

    How is the battery holding now? How many shots are you making now?

    Paul

    paul, Jul 20, 2004
  18. Don F

    Don F Guest

    --------------
    You are right. I forgot about the firmware update, Paul. I really don't
    *know* that the firmware update requires a large amount of power, do you? I
    know the D70 battery should be fully charged before the update is attempted
    because you can smoke your camera. It was posted here the battery indicator
    is not a good indicator of battery condition.
    I think my battery problem was caused by my infrequent use of the camera.
    I did go out yesterday and I shot ~35 pictures in 2 hours so my picture
    quantity should improve if I have more opportunity to fit in more photo
    sessions.
    I'll keep you posted if I find my battery is bad.
    Don F

    Don F, Jul 20, 2004
  19. It's probably good and it sounds about right. The firmware update on
    top of being a month old charge , a new camera, and having shot a few
    photos could do it.

    Some things that get lost when talking about batteries.

    NiMH batteries can be conditioned. The ones I have for my radios and
    the OLY E20-N recommend conditioning and they state it may take a few
    charge discharge cycles before they reach full capacity. The charger
    has a conditioning cycle capability.(It cycles the batteries to a very
    low charge and then recharges them)

    Lithium batteries do not need to be conditioned.

    Lithium batteries discharge all by themselves even when sitting on the
    shelf. It's some % per day, but I don't remember the figure.
    OTOH LIthium batteries are high current devices and are fantastic in
    situations where you do a lot of shooting.

    There are several items such as the clock and frame counter that run
    even when the camera is turned off. The clock battery is
    rechargeable, takes about 3 days to charge and will run the clock for
    a month. Hence for a new camera there would be a *slight* additional
    drain on the main battery.

    Lithium batteries do not like cold weather. In cold weather carry two
    batteries with one in the camera and one in an inside pocket to keep
    it warm.

    It doesn't hurt to have one set of non rechargeable Lithium batteries
    in the holder for those "just-in-case" situations, or a belt mounted
    battery pack of the proper voltage and a connector to fit the camera.
    I have one for the E-20N that will see it through 3 250 MEG CF cards
    and at least part way through a 1 GIG card with out going flat. I
    would expect to see those packs specifically for the D-70s showing up
    fairly soon.

    Roger Halstead, Jul 21, 2004
  20. Roger Halstead wrote:
    []
    Lithium Ion?

    Li-Ion have a much smaller self-discharge than NiMH - almost so small you
    can ignore it over a month. NiMH can be as high as 30% per month.

    73,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 21, 2004