    Thinking about purchasing a Nikon D5000 from GetItDigital in the USA, I am
    in the UK, any problems?

    Thanks, Ron

    Ron Wood, Jul 26, 2009

  2. Getting the US dealer to honour the warranty might be an issue, and would
    Nikon UK support the camera? Other will probably advise on the seller
    reputation of GetItDigital.

    For saving a few tens of pounds, it's not a route I would take. Remember
    that there may be all sorts of taxes, duties and admin fees to pay when
    the camera arrives in the UK, and then it may not be such a bargain after
    all.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 26, 2009

  3. Ron Wood

    Ron Wood Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    Thanks for the tax/vat/duties reminder, I'll check that out.

    Ron.

    Ron Wood, Jul 26, 2009
  4. Ron Wood wrote:
    []
    ... and remember that the Post Office or whoever may charge you an extra
    admin fee for collecting any taxes and duties....

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 26, 2009
  5. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    Little anti-semitic, are you? Based on the facts that the store is
    closed for part of the Jewish sabbath, and because the phone number is
    in Brooklyn, Little Richie says stay away.

    ResellerRatings, though, rates them a 9.62 out of 10. Not quite as
    good as B&H camera (9.73); another store that closes for the Jewish
    sabbath.

    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2009
  6. Ron Wood

    J. Clarke Guest

    As a thumb rule though it's valid--there _is_ an outfit working out of
    Brooklyn that changes its name every time the wind shifts and always has
    very attractive prices but deals in bait and switch, so one is justified in
    being suspicious of any camera store in Brooklyn.

    J. Clarke, Jul 27, 2009
  7. Ron Wood

    Bob Larter Guest

    Gee, the P&S troll is also an anti-semite - what a surprise.

    Bob Larter, Jul 27, 2009
  8. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    I would check *any* online deal against ResellerRatings. Having a
    non-Brooklyn store address doesn't ensure legitimacy.

    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2009
  9. Ron Wood

    Warren Block Guest

    That's 9.62 out of 10 based on only 127 reviews. Actually, that number
    dropped from 135 while I was reading them.

    It's worth scanning through those reviews. They mention "confirmation"
    phone calls and upselling, gray market, and kits divided up to sell
    separately. Lots of them mention accessories like flashes and remotes
    that didn't work.

    Just for comparison, B&H's 9.73 is based on more than 8,000 reviews.

    Warren Block, Jul 27, 2009
  10. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    I don't mind confirmation calls and upselling. No company today can
    afford to leave any sales on the table. If they can sell an extra
    filter, battery, flash, case, etc, that profit can make a difference
    in their pricing structure.

    B&H sells gray market as well as US distribution network items. They
    let you know if an item is gray market, though.

    The point of my post was that just because the store has Jewish
    ownership or management, and is located in Brooklyn, it is not a scam
    operation as our bigoted poster, Rich, implied.

    tony cooper, Jul 28, 2009
  11. Ron Wood

    Art Deco Guest

    Gee, the AUK troll, Lionel Lauer, is also a Gay-Rod - what a surprise.

    Art Deco, Jul 28, 2009
  12. Ron Wood

    nick c Guest

    There is much I can say to offer as a rebuttal but the word that
    readily comes to mind that says it all is ... nonsense.

    nick c, Jul 29, 2009
  13. Ron Wood

    tony cooper Guest

    It's utter foolishness. Rating a store based on their area code or
    their hours of operation is ridiculous.

    tony cooper, Aug 11, 2009
  14. It's called profiling. It helps to narrow them down and make them easier to
    spot by text only, the only "face" that you see of any business on the
    internet. A rare one or two good ones might be wrongly ostracized by
    profiling, but it's better to not support a good one or two if you have to
    also support 200 intentionally scamming dealers. Those that do not want to,
    in any way, be associated with the scammers would alter their hours of
    operation to distance themselves from the scammers. If they can't, too bad,
    find another way to make money.

    Profiling can be a good thing. Just as I would now be leery of any advice
    posted by anyone with the text-name of "tony cooper" on the internet.
    Seeing as how this author calling itself "tony cooper" has never uttered
    anything helpful nor intelligent for years, others with that name will be
    also suspect until they've proved themselves different, or used a different
    online name. Then they will be judged anew, until found to be just as
    useless.

    "The belief of 'thou shalt not judge' was a brilliant psychological war
    ploy invented by christians. They taught it to your Pagan ancestors so they
    wouldn't judge christians as christians judged them to death. Destroying
    your own ancestral heritage, which you now no doubt hypocritically support.
    In short, if you don't judge -- you die. People who claim to not judge are
    hypocrites. They judge 24 hours a day or they wouldn't be alive."

    Ghett A. Kleu, Aug 11, 2009
  15. Ron Wood

    J. Clarke Guest

    Except when it's a camera store in Brooklyn.

    Why do you keep arguing this point? When it's known that a scam artist
    works a particular kind of scam out of a particular area and keeps
    particular hours then it seems to me that only a fool argues that one should
    _not_ be suspicious of anyone who works the same hours from the same area
    and selling the same kind of goods.

    J. Clarke, Aug 11, 2009
  16. Ron Wood

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, John:

    Well said! No one (individual or group) should be allowed to hide behind
    religion, in order to escape justice.

    John Turco, Aug 20, 2009