    the kitless version?

    any other stuff needed at the point of purchase? batteries, bag, strap?
    trying to work out a budget.

    someone, Sep 22, 2003

  2. someone

    Mikey Guest

    I don't have one (yet) but according to this review the kit lens is actually
    pretty good, and probably well worth the $100 or so it costs. You will want
    more lenses to suit your needs but the kit lens should be quite usable as a
    day to day, lightweight general purpose lens to leave on the camera and use
    when carrying a whole bagful of stuff is a bit much.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

    Batteries, and memory cards , as well as other lenses, had better be in
    your budget.

    Mikey, Sep 22, 2003

  3. someone

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    Naturally you are going to need a camera bag. I didn't buy one when I
    bought my camera but got one shortly afterwards and the best part
    about this one is it just looks like a purse. No one would guess I
    had a camera in it.

    Ms.Jaime
    (who quit smoking 10 years ago today...Sept 22)

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 22, 2003
  4. someone

    HRosita Guest

    First let me congratulate you on kicking the smoking habit. I kicked my
    February 26, 1976.

    Can you please tell me what type of camera bag you bought?

    I have the Lowepro Nova 2 for my D7Hi but am not sure that the 300D would fit
    in it with an extra lens.

    Thanks
    Rosita

    HRosita, Sep 22, 2003
  5. someone

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I usually am not critical about spelling or what is in the subject line but it
    would help if people would spell the camera model correctly. 300D instead of
    D300 or 1Ds instead of D1s.

    It really helps if a person does searches on subject posts.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Sep 22, 2003
  6. "
    Congratulations. I'm approaching year 6 (Nov. 13) after 30 years of 2+
    packs/day...

    Robert A. Barr, Sep 22, 2003
  7. To paraphrase "Sliding doors" film: 'you still care about it if you are
    counting days (and probably hours, minutes and seconds), since you
    stopped smoking'. :)

    But seriously, my congratulations to both of you.

    Bye, Dragan (who stopped smoking about a year ago, but doesn't remember the
    date any more)

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Sep 22, 2003
  8. I bought the kit and the lens is worth $100 to someone (like me) who owns no
    Canon lenses. The pictures taken so far are very good. It's not a
    professional lens but will work well for most. You will also need a compact
    flash card to get started.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 22, 2003
  9. someone

    This Old Man Guest

    I had not noticed: it comes with *no* memory card?

    This Old Man, Sep 22, 2003
  10. Correct.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 22, 2003
  11. someone

    Jean Guest

    Pays for a few cameras doesn't it ;-)

    Jean, Sep 22, 2003
  12. someone

    Bryce Guest

    how about a battery?

    Bryce, Sep 22, 2003
  13. someone

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    Exactly plus a lot of other stuff too
    including books which were my *first* love.

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 22, 2003
  14. someone

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    I remember mine because today is also my father's birthday.

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 22, 2003
  15. someone

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    Congratulations to you too Robert. :)

    That *was* a lot of cigarettes you smoked.
    I was close to 25 cigarettes (almost a whole pack a day) when I quit.

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 22, 2003
  16. Yes, one gets a battery and charger.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 22, 2003
  17. someone

    Bryce Guest

    you'd think, right?

    I wonder why not any memory with it?

    Bryce, Sep 22, 2003
  18. someone

    Bob Niland Guest

    they only had the version with the kit
    I'd suggest getting the EF-S 18-55m whether you
    need it or not. Since, theoretically, it's not
    sold separately, there's likely to be a robust
    secondary market created by people who bought
    or got the kitless cam, and now want that lens.

    Somewhat amazingly, no one seems to be selling
    the EF-S 18-55 on eBay yet. This suggests to me
    that when any appear, they will command prices
    in excess of the $100 diff between the kitted
    and bare 300Ds.

    If you re-sell yours, be sure to include repeated
    and emphasized caveats that (at the moment) it
    ONLY works on the EOS-300D (aka dRebel, dKISS).

    You do not want to sell it to a clueless buyer
    who uses it to wreck the mirror on their non-300D,
    damages the lens, demands a refund, and gives you
    negative feedback for your trouble.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing personal
    opinions and NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet
    Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Sep 22, 2003
  19. Bryce, you got me with that question. The camera is useless without a
    memory card. Why not include a "starter card" to allow consumers to use the
    camera when they get it home? Can you imagine the disappointment on XMAS
    morning? Great camera, by the way. Bad decision on the memory card,
    though.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 22, 2003
  20. someone

    Bryce Guest

    Or like, here's your new car at the dealership. But sorry pal, you've gotta
    get a taxi, drive to homedepot, buy a gas can, then taxi the gas station,
    get gas, then taxi back here again.

    You'd think they could have just raised the price 40 bucks and included a 64
    meg or so.

    Bryce, Sep 22, 2003