    Am I pushing my luck?

    THANKS in advance,

    Uncle Ron

    Uncle Ron, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Uncle Ron

    Jim Guest

    Does the D100 have the contact tab? There is only one, Mounting a pre-AI
    lenas on an AI or AI-S camera will do damage to the tab, unless the camera
    is an F3 which allows you to move the tab out of the way.

    If your D100 does not have the tab, there isn't much to harm.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Uncle Ron

    Jim Guest

    The manual for my D70 says that non-AI lenses cannot be used. I suspect
    that the D100 manual says the same thing. I would not assume that just
    because you have had no trouble with the 500mm reflex lens, you would not
    have trouble with other non-AI lenses. I don't own such a lens hence can't
    say more.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 29, 2005
  4. I also have an old 500mm (actually 50cm) reflex and it works fine on all
    my cameras. It easy to see that my lens will not damage any of my cameras.

    If you want an authoritative answer, write to Nikon. Otherwise, the warranty
    on free advice is as much as you paid for it.

    Philip Homburg, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Uncle Ron

    Uncle Ron Guest

    Thanks Philip. Nikon's level 1 support people are fairly
    un-knowledgable in my experience. Unless you are a real novice, they
    know less than you do, and simply re-state what's in the manuals. I
    wrote to them and got a lame reference to the D100 user manual, which
    actually places a "check" in the column next to Reflex Nikkors in the
    "manual" column, but says in other places that non-AI lenses should not
    be used.

    I'm guessing that the Reflex Nikkors are a special case. Being fixed
    aperature, they don't have any mechanical pieces that could jam or
    interfere with a newer AI body.

    Anybody got any other experience/advice?

    Thanks again Philip,

    Uncle Ron

    Uncle Ron, Oct 31, 2005
  6. Shift lenses are also a special case (aperture ring at the front of the lens).
    However, old shift lenses cannot be used on 'Ai-only' bodies. It simply
    depends on the construction of the lens.

    Philip Homburg, Oct 31, 2005