D-Link DSM-320 Wi-Fi Media Player?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill Crocker, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Bill Crocker, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Bill Crocker

    Del Guest

    Yes, Bill I have the 320.

    It plays avi, mpg, mpeg2, vob, and wma video formats. The vob (DVD
    format) works fine, but it can only play one vob at a time, rather
    than stringing them together like a DVD is normally played.

    The wireless g bandwidth has worked for me while watching video
    provided I could get a 48Mb connection or better. As soon as my signal
    dropped lower than 48Mbps the video became choppy.

    The unit is great. My only complaint is the software that serves your
    media. It is garbage.

    First off, it doesn't run as a service but rather as a client on your
    desktop. You can create a service yourself but they should have
    provisioned this already.

    Second, reading in mp3's is a nightmare. It tries to grab the ID3
    information from each mp3. I have about 12,000 mp3's and it crashed
    everytime I tried to scan in the files due to the amount of files it
    tries to read in. I eventually went in and manipulated their SQLite
    database to get this working properly. Again, there should be the
    ability to turn this feature off at the client, but they've failed
    again. You also can't queue up a bunch of songs. You can only play one
    at a time. The only way around this is to create a playlist on your
    server and then select that playlist on the 320. Again, not the end of
    the world, but it would be nice to just hit play and have it shuffle
    through my songs, playing them at random.

    Third, it didn't read in the correct resolution of .vob files. For
    instance, if a movie is a wide-screen, it just assumes that it's a
    full-screen sized movie and squeezes the picture on to the screen
    making it unwatchable. I would like to have control over this through
    the software without having to manipulate their database everytime I
    put a new movie on my server. One way around this is to just convert
    all of your saved DVD formatted movies to mpeg. And like I had
    mentioned before, I can only play one vob at a time meaning that to
    watch a full-length movie, I would have to manually hit play on each
    vob file during the movie (uaually 4 or 5 vob's in one movie).

    It would be nice to see an open source project started to come up with
    a better server piece for this device. All of the limitations are due
    to faulty software. The device will play anything that your server
    feeds it provided that the format can be decoded by the server.

    Like I said the device works like a charm, but the software is
    pathetic.

    -Rob

    Del, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Bill Crocker

    Jason Guest

    Bill,
    Good comments about the 320 - one thing - I can't get mine to play
    AVI's encoded with any of the DivX codecs.
    Are you getting the same thing?
    Jase

    Jason, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Bill Crocker

    mediamiser Guest

    Any tips or steps for modifying the sql database it uses?

    -
    mediamise

    mediamiser, Sep 14, 2004