D-Link DIR-652 config file error

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by me, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. me

    me Guest

    :)

    I have a D-Link DIR-652 router (4x GB-LAN, Wifi-N, recent, latest firmware)
    which is running fine, except for the fact that when I save its settings in
    a config.bin file, trying to load the settings from the file results in an
    error. (I use the router in different situations, and quickly loading
    different settings would be really useful).

    I have looked at the config.bin file in notepad, and the strange thing is
    that it ends with 2 different checksums; the 2 last lines would be something
    like:
    config_checksum=52498
    config_checksum=43748

    I tried deleting one (and then the other) of the checksums in notepad and
    saving the file, but this doesn't help.
    Has anyone else seen this bug, or know a way to fix it? Or maybe the dual
    checksums are normal and the problem lies elsewhere?
    Btw, I have checked that any text I entered (SSID, passwords, computer
    names...) doesn't contain any special characters.

    Any help appreciated,

    Marc.

    me, Jun 19, 2011

  2. Almost sounds like problems I have heard about on some other routers
    that received a firmware upgrade but with out the benefit of first
    defaulting the router to factory default settings.

    Might be worth a try to default your box to factory and then see what
    the saved file shows. If the same problem persists if it were me I'd
    leave it at factory default and then reload the firmware one more time
    and see if that flushes out the problem by repeating the same test while
    it is in default settings.

    Provided the above clears the problem then go on from there with your
    configuration changes and confirm that a new save does not bring back
    the problem.

    If I'm totally off the mark I'm sure others here will set you in the
    right track but at least my idea should just waste some time if it does
    not fix anything.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 20, 2011

  3. me

    me Guest

    Well, I experimented a bit, and found that after resetting the router to
    factory defaults and changing some settings, you can indeed save valid
    config files. However, after loading a valid config file, changing some
    settings, and saving it again, you get an invalid config file that contains
    both the checksum of the original config file, and a new checksum.
    So at least I've been able to make valid config files for the different
    situations I use the router in (LAN router, WiFi router, WiFi access point),
    but it's still quite inconvenient. And it's not the only bug I've found in
    the web config interface; you can't set the transmit power to "low" because
    of a missing ">" in the html, and the WISH settings page is missing from the
    left menu, and can only be reached by guessing and manually entering its url
    ! Let's hope there's a firmware update soon.

    Marc.

    me, Jun 20, 2011
  4. I'm glad you are at least partially able to do what you want.

    As for them fixing the problems, do not rely on them fixing it with out
    someone complaining about what you have found. Contact support about
    your findings and put it in writing.

    There is a D-Link forum at DSLReports.com where you also need to make
    your finding known. It can be found at :

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink

    D-Link may have their own public forum where you can also raise the issues.

    With out becoming offensive, the more bad publicity about bugs in the
    product posted to public forums the more incentive they have to fix
    things.

    Who knows, someone might have a new firmware they can provide you since
    your router appears to be running a modified form of the open GPL DD-WRT
    software.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 20, 2011
  5. me

    Char Jackson Guest

    You sound like a good candidate for a 3rd party firmware, if your
    router supports it. I recommend dd-wrt or Tomato.

    Char Jackson, Jun 20, 2011
  6. me

    me Guest

    I wrote to a general D-Link email address about these issues, and got a
    reply that they would pass it on to the right person.
    (The D-Link support forum is just too much hassle; why do they need my email
    address, home address and phone number, if not to spam me?)

    Marc.

    me, Jun 20, 2011
  7. Many company forums themselves are targets of spammers or shills from
    competitors trying to cause problems. I suspect they use the requested
    info to try and weed out the automated spam-bots and troublemakers that
    try to open accounts or multiple accounts. I suppose one could fake the
    address and phone info but many use the Email address to confirm you
    actually exist before your account gets activated, like by sending you
    your initial password VIA email.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jun 20, 2011
  8. me

    me Guest

    I emailed D-Link, and they have been very responsive; I received a reply the
    next day, and a seperate one from a tech person, thanking me for my bug
    reports, explaining that they're working on a new firmware version, and that
    the config file bug has already been fixed.
    So no complaints about D-Link there; the trick with large companies is to
    get past the first line of support/defence :)

    Marc.

    me, Jun 22, 2011