    numbers ????

    Thanks
    Brian

    nobody, Jul 7, 2009

  2. Brian, Yes this router is supposed to forward the DNS values found in the
    WAN Status page to any devices connected to the LAN provided they are using
    DHCP.

    With your internet link up, hopefully, check to see what value(s) you see on
    the WAN status page for DNS.

    Then on a PC try the "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt window and see if
    they are showing up in the DNS of the PC.

    In my case my PC's have 127.0.0.1 first so my outbound is filtered by my
    Host file followed by (in my case) two DNS values provided by my ISP as
    shown in my routers WAN status page.

    It's possible your ISP's DNS servers are experiencing problems if everything
    looks good but still will not work when you use a site name rather than the
    actual IP address of the site. A tracert in a command prompt window of the
    site name may show where connection to the site is failing if there is a
    temporary path problem.

    One other thing to try is to power down all PC's, reboot the router and then
    try one PC and see if it works. If it does power on the rest one-at-a-time
    but verify the first PC can still work along with the PC just powered on
    before proceeding to the next machine. Possibly you have or had a PC that
    was confused with all the router resets and was not accepting the new IP
    address the router was sending to it resulting in more than one PC with the
    same address.

    GlowingBlueMist, Jul 7, 2009

  3. nobody

    nobody Guest

    It has for the last three years........
    The DNS addresses on the 4 PC's using IPCONFIG /all are always different than the router is showing.
    I don't remember if all the PC's had the same dns between them but I know they were different than
    my router was showing from my isp (Comcast)
    I called, they said they were good.......... as always (Comcast)
    I always shut down all the PC's before rebooting the router, even reset the modem several times as
    well...... I think maybe my 604 is toast.............. but other than the DNS problem it's working
    fine now for the last few days....... Could the router be fried in just this one area (DNS server)
    ???

    Thanks
    Brian

    nobody, Jul 7, 2009
  4. nobody

    terryc Guest

    Yes, but not in the same way.
    When it, and similar devices, allocates an IP address, it/they usually
    also tell the recipient that they are the DNS server, or provide the IP
    address of a server to access.

    The pc(?) can use the advised DNS address to perorm dns lookups. If you
    DI604 is disconnected from the internet, then it and the pcs are not
    going to be able to dns, except for local stuff from hosts files.

    terryc, Jul 7, 2009
  5. Since the router is basically a mini-computer it is possible for it to
    functionality in one part only, not common but possible.

    I support some networks where the PC's are configured to have the same IP
    address configured in them for the Default Gateway and DNS server being the
    same. In this case your router with the router itself forwarding all DNS
    requests up the link to the ISP. You can hand code the DNS values in the
    PC's to do that and it may "fix" things until something else goes wrong.

    It is possible that reloading the operating firmware in your router might
    clear things up but it might also kill it all together if there is something
    physically wrong with the memory or other things inside the router. If it
    were a choice of buying a new one or reloading the firmware first, I'd try
    reloading the box.

    D-Links USA web site only has firmware available for the Rev E version of
    the box available for downloading. It appears that their United Kingdom
    site at
    http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite...95806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB/DLWrapper
    still has software for the Rev B, D and F versions

    You might be able to use one of the older releases listed at these
    non-D-Link sites
    http://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/Router/DI-604/Firmware/Rev.D/old/?C=M;O=D or
    http://www.mydumbblogs.com/technology/d-link-di-604-firmware.html I have
    not used firmware from either site and it's always possible attempting a
    firmware change will turn the router into a perfectly useable door stop...

    GlowingBlueMist, Jul 8, 2009
  6. nobody

    Char Jackson Guest

    I would enter the actual DNS IP's in each PC and allow them to
    continue to obtain their LAN IP's via DHCP. Simple and easy.

    Char Jackson, Jul 8, 2009