    Suddenly "Cyrillic (KOI-8)" has disappeared in "View->Encoding" in Outlook Express.
    How to restore that?

    Thanks,

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Note. In Internet Explorer "Cyrillic (KOI8-U)" and "Cyrillic (KOI8-R)" didn't disappear.

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 11, 2006

  3. Alex Vinokur

    PA Bear Guest

    [microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress has NOT been a
    valid MS newsgroup for years, though some newsservers continue to carry it
    in error.]

    Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File >
    Identities > Add new identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all
    folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into
    the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File > Identities > Manage
    Identities).

    To avoid such corruption in future:

    - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    - Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

    - WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
    your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

    - WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
    installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
    in the future:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86b68a78-f325-4a95-98c2-98af2256ccc3

    This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
    Express/WinXP SP2.

    - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    It seems that microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress is valid as Google group
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress
    I did that. But where is the compacted file?

    --- From Help ---
    To compact and back up mail folders
    Select a mail folder, click the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.
    To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express
    mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 12, 2006
  5. Just try setting up a new Identity and see if that fixes it.

    It sounds as if a registry key is corrupt and that should give you a new
    registry hive and it may fix the problem.

    steve

    Steve Cochran, Aug 12, 2006
  6. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    I have created a a new Identity, but "Cyrillic (KOI-8)" is missing here too.
    [snip]

    Thanks,

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 12, 2006
  7. I'm not sure what to suggest then, especially since you keep snipping the
    thread so I can't tell what the things that have been tried are.

    steve

    Steve Cochran, Aug 15, 2006
  8. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 15, 2006
  9. Glad you got it figured out. I don't know why it wouldn't be available
    otherwise.

    steve

    Steve Cochran, Aug 15, 2006