CYE: Most Annoying Packaging EVER...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan Lund, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    So I picked up the Curb Your Enthusiasm set today... I can't speak to
    the quality of the show since I haven't seen it yet (I bought it
    because Larry David was hilarious at the Golden Globes last year when
    he won the award for TV Comedy) but the box is incredibly annoying.

    What appears to be a standard paper box is nothing of the sort. Both
    discs are held in a kind of slider mechanism. There's a thumb tab on
    the bottom that says "PULL" and what's supposed to happen is that the
    tray holding disc 1 slides down while at the same time the tray
    holding disc 2 slides up.

    Well, that's the theory anyway. The first time I pulled the entire
    tray mechanism slid out of the box. It was only after it was free that
    I was able to figure out how it was SUPPOSED to work. 3 or 4 more
    tries later I got it to work correctly.

    This isn't going to last... Slimline cases here I come...

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Jan 14, 2004

  2. The most annoying packaging I've ever come across are either snappers,
    those giant, flimsy fold-out dealies, or the cases you get every now and
    then with an incredibly unforgiving hub. I also hate the 2-disc sets
    that cheap out on us by giving us that hinged thing, instead of a proper
    2-disc keep case. Those things break easily, and there's no snapping
    them back. I must have three DVDs that came with the case pre-broken
    like that.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Jordan Lund

    Morgan Guest

    The Alien Quadrilogy is pretty bad IMO. I'm probably in the minority that I
    like all four films, but to get to the first or last disc in the set you
    have to keep unfolding this thing over and over again. And this packaging
    is just like heavy card-stock, it's going to tear at some point or get
    damaged in some other way. They should have made a box like the Alien
    Legacy. I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.

    Morgan

    Morgan, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Jordan Lund

    HellRazor Guest

    The plastic CD holders are actually rubber cemented to the box card stock.
    I've had 3 of them fall out and I had to re-attach them to the box. Yuck.

    HellRazor

    HellRazor, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Jordan Lund

    Poisonmail Guest

    I genuinely hate all cases not made of plastic.

    Yeah, me too. And I vote Close Encounters SE for worst packaging.

    n.

    Poisonmail, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Jordan Lund

    Bill Guest

    I don't like the fold-out type of packaging such as what's found with the
    extended editions of "Lord of the Rings." I find it extremely cumbersome,
    and worry about the long-term durability.

    Bill, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Jordan Lund

    Shinner Guest

    Sometimes it's nice to have a 400 DVD changer :)

    Shinner, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Jordan Lund

    gardibolt Guest

    Nothing is as bad as the old Polydor drawer cases, guaranteed to
    scratch your disc. And god help you if there was a flipper disc in
    those things---scratch both sides at once! No wonder Polydor folded
    soon after.

    Mark

    gardibolt, Jan 15, 2004
  9. Jordan Lund

    terry king Guest

    The first 2 seasons of Queer As Folk use that style case, 6 disks each.
    One hub was pre-smashed on the first set, two hubs on the second set.
    I removed the broken holders, put the disks in slimline cases, and set
    them on the remains of the adhesive. Everything fits perfectly, but
    it's a pain in the ass between the unfolding and the mismatched
    holders. I'd rather have the rental format, where each disk gets its
    own case. It takes up more shelf space, but it's a breeze to swap out
    a damaged case.

    Terry King | The Celts sacked Rome before it became
    preacher mit edu | a competitive event. - Curt Marcus

    GSS/H v3.0 [email protected] W++ N+++ M+$ t+ 5++ X++ R* b+++ DI++++ x? <*>
    DNRC: Sublime Guardian of Paradox, Anachronism, and the Absurd

    terry king, Jan 15, 2004
  10. Jordan Lund

    Eric R. Guest

    I actually prefer the old Polygram case to those damn snappers! The
    Poly cases could scratch your disc if you weren't careful. But at
    least they had a removable insert you could put in a DVD folder.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jan 16, 2004
  11. Jordan Lund

    Dunf Guest

    The best would have to be Mobile Fidelity's old "lift lock" cases. Shaped
    and sized like a CD case, when you open the front cover, the jewel tray pops
    up presenting the disc to you. The dvd or cd is then easily removeable by
    grabbing the edges. Teh middle spindle "grabber" moves with the movement of
    the jewel tray so it ends up positioned so that the disc comes out easy.

    The Digipak (any non plastic case that uses heavy stock paper with printing
    and trays that are glued in place) can be ok. You have to use your entire
    right or left arm to accomodate the "roll out" of say a Sopranos box set in
    order to fetch a dvd. But, the set up works overall.

    Dunf, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Jordan Lund

    Dunf Guest

    yeah if you don't mind compounded dust, warpage from the machines own
    intense heat buildup and the simple fact that you can't transport the thing
    with the dvd's in them.

    Dunf, Jan 30, 2004
  13. Jordan Lund

    Shinner Guest

    haven't noticed any appreciable dust in almost 2 years.
    what, for the whole 2 hours the thing is on? I don't generally sit down
    and watch 12 hours of DVDs straight.
    And why would I need to relocate my DVD player so often that taking the
    discs out would be a major headache?

    Dust? Maybe over a very long time. But the fact that the changer keeps my
    kids from mangling the discs makes it worth it. And I can always clean
    the discs if they get too dusty (which as I said, I've not experienced)

    Warpage? Maybe if I had a viewing marathon, but the average night is 4
    hours at most. The cavity of the changer has much more free air than the
    standard dvd player (or even a 3 or 5 disc changer). I'd be more worried
    about warpage if I had one of those.

    Transportation headache? I'll worry about that if/when I ever move.

    Shinner, Jan 30, 2004