    How do I find out what piece of software put it there? Can I delete the
    registry entry?

    Thanks.

    its_my_dime, Apr 20, 2005

  2. its_my_dime

    °Mike° Guest

    I can find absolutely no information on that file. I would treat is
    as very suspicious, particularly as it is referenced in the system32
    folder, and scan your system for viruses and spyware/malware.

    Use AT LEAST two online antivirus scanners:

    Next, download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
    if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
    Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
    have the latest version of removal tools:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml
    IMPORTANT NOTICE:

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
    Now maintained by InterMute
    http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

    In <nfy9e.2082$>,

    °Mike°, Apr 20, 2005

  3. its_my_dime

    WormWood Guest

    Did you mean "Evntcmd.exe? "

    WormWood, Apr 20, 2005
  4. its_my_dime

    its_my_dime Guest

    I don't seem to have this file on my computer, only the reference to it in
    the registry. And norton, adaware and spybot say I'm clean. Maybe
    something deposited these instructions into the registry but the file was
    removed by an AV program. And re the next post,er I do have the name
    correct.

    its_my_dime, Apr 20, 2005
  5. its_my_dime

    °Mike° Guest

    In <zjz9e.10724$>,
    "its_my_dime" < (hold the spam)> took 78 lines to
    utter:

    How can that be? Your original post said that Windows reports it
    as needing to shut down -- it HAS to run if it needs to shut down.
    So what? They could be missing it. Either take my advice, or don't.
    Maybe you need to be either more specific, re. error messages, or
    you need to be more concerned about finding the faulting file.

    °Mike°, Apr 20, 2005
  6. its_my_dime

    WormWood Guest

    "its_my_dime" wrote
    "its_my_dime" wrote
    <snip>

    And re the next post,er I do have the name
    Duly noted. Thanks

    WormWood, Apr 20, 2005
  7. its_my_dime

    its_my_dime Guest

    ERROR MESSAGE: cvntcmd.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience. ...two buttons...debug and
    close...either of which removes the window.

    Again, I cannot find this file anywhere on the computer but it is referenced
    in the registry and, therefore, in the start-up sequence.

    I have an identical computer at home with pretty much the same software but
    no reference to the file.

    My thought is just to do a restore point and remove the registry entries.

    its_my_dime, Apr 21, 2005
  8. its_my_dime

    °Mike° Guest

    In <3QN9e.2117$>,
    "its_my_dime" < (hold the spam)> took 46 lines to
    utter:

    It is ON your computer. Don't you get it? The error messages reads:
    "cvntcmd.exe HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE".
    My thought is that you need to listen to advice, if you ask for it.

    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005