    right in saying this is wrong

    Any thoughts welcome

    cheers Mike

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Limit is 18 INCLUDING postage so you are over the limit

    Frederico Fonseca
    ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

    Frederico Fonseca, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    hi fred

    i was always told the postage was never included as they only mark the price
    of the dvd on ths box no postage

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Michael

    Nigel Guest

    Michael typed:
    I always thought that too Michael

    That's the whole point of the value box on the customs declaration label I
    thought? If it includes postage too, how does that work when half the
    companies I order from (Play & Sendit to name a few - who both ship from
    Jersey) offer "free" postage and therefore don't display any postage cost on
    the packets?

    Nigel, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Michael

    AV99 Guest

    Postal costs do not need to be included according to HM Customs Manchester
    after I asked them , it is the value of the product only . If it comes to
    £17.99 your alright , £18 & more your stuffed .

    AV99, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and i
    hope they read this to

    thanks guys for the replies

    Mike

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Michael

    AV99 Guest

    The reason I asked was because I received a disc from CDWow for precisely
    £18 & got bit by Royal Mail for customs & handling fees etc , cost me nearly
    £7 too but £4 of the was the bloody Royal Mail charge .

    AV99, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Michael

    Jabbitt Guest

    I don't mind the customs charge so much, its the Royal Mail fee I think is
    unfair. Jeez, i dread to think how much my Hellboy DVD Gift set is going to
    cost when the postman shows up...

    Jabbitt, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Michael

    Zygon Curry Guest

    The £4 charge is a pathetic ripoff by royal mail. £4 to hand over and
    collect a parcel.

    Zygon Curry, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Michael

    Biz Guest

    Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until then
    don't break them.

    Biz, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Michael

    Zygon Curry Guest

    It's not about fair, more about ripoff. The tax charge I can
    understand, but at £17.99 it hardly allows for any box sets, etc for
    starters.

    As for the £4 royal mail charge.... That in the above example is more
    then the actual tax!

    Total: £7

    Royal Mail charge: £4

    Actual Tax: £3

    Zygon Curry, Oct 16, 2004
  12. Michael

    Damon Guest

    We have had £140 worth of stuff arrive this week with no charges at all
    so it is the roll of the dice as to whether you get charged or not.

    Damon

    Damon, Oct 16, 2004
  13. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    If it really is £18 exactly then no duty should have been charged. The limit
    is £18 or less for the intrinsic value (which excludes P&P). For more than
    £18 payment is due on the total value, including P&P. If you want to check
    it out start from www.hmce.gov.uk (it'll redirect you to something more
    complex), and put "guide for international postal users" in the search box
    and select that title from the results. To check the value from the same
    start page select "Exchange Rates" under "Popular links".

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  14. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    No. The limit is £18 excluding postage (the so-called "intrinsic value"),
    but if charges are due the calculation is then based on the value including
    P&P.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  15. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    It should not have. Notice 143 actually says "EC agreements allow relief
    from charges on certain imported goods if they: have an intrinsic value of
    £18 or less". As noted, intrinsic value excluded P&P, so at £18 there should
    be no charges, but on £18.01 ... If HMCE Manchester said otherwise somebody
    should point them at their own web site for the correct information, or that
    notice needs to be corrected.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  16. {{{{Welcome}}}}, Oct 17, 2004
  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    what rules have i broke biz, look the customs charge says i can import goods
    to the price of £18 which i did, postage charges are not taken into
    consuideration by the customs office so they are void of the price in
    question so what have i done wrong

    Michael, Oct 17, 2004
  18. Michael

    Michael Guest

    i know all countries are the same but as i said in the above post no rules
    have been broken, my order came to £18 GBP thats is the limit regardless
    of postage which can not be taken into the discussion, as customs themselves
    say you only pay for the ordered items not postage as some one on here as
    quoted

    mike

    Michael, Oct 17, 2004
  19. Don't you have some sort of customs/tax appeals process in the UK?

    The same thing happens to me (in Canada) a few times a year, usually due to
    misdeclaration of value on the part of the sender: they include the shipping
    costs, or round the value up, or inflate the value from $20 to $50, thinking
    they're doing me a favour w/r/t insurance if the package goes missing.

    Once I've collected two or three, I mail in the customs forms with proof of
    the real purchase price. So far, I've had no problem getting my money back,
    even when my proof of purchase was only a printout of an eBay auction page.

    If it was any more difficult, or if it only happened once, I'd let it go. As
    it is, I figure it's worth the effort to get $25-$50 back at a time.

    Incidentally, Canada Post's handling fee for packages with customs/tax due is
    a flat $5.00, and considering what UPS/FedEx/DHL/Purolator et al. charge under
    the same circumstances (from 3x - 10x that amount, depending on the value of
    the shipment), I think it's a bargain. Judging by the complaints in this
    thread about your £4 handling fee, I take it you folks don't get ripped off as
    badly as we do by the couriers?

    - R.

    Robert Barnhardt, Oct 17, 2004
  20. "> Incidentally, Canada Post's handling fee for packages with customs/tax
    due is
    Some couriers in the UK charge a £10 admin fee.

    Michael Jones, Oct 17, 2004