<customErrors> tag should have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Discussion in 'Software' started by jasari, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. jasari

    jasari

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all,
    I am running a vb.net application on windows 2003 server and the following error occures. I have checked the config file and the mode attrribute is set to "Off".

    Any ideas what else might cause this error?

    thanks

    Server Error in '/abeltools/Admin' Application.

    Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    jasari, Aug 30, 2006

  2. jasari

    RaveeMathi777

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    1. Check if you have created the virtual directory for your application or delete the existing virtual directory, create a new Virtual directory, restart IIS and access your page.

    If the problem persist, check the permission on your the following folder:
    %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    This folder should have 'full control' for LOCAL SERVICE,NETWORK SERVICE and the root folder of you website (e.g.WWWROOT) should have the 'full control' permission for LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE.

    One of these options might help you to resolve.

    Thanks,

    RaveeMathi777, Aug 31, 2006

  3. jasari

    jasari

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for your response, recreating the virtual directory didn't solve the problem, so I checked the permission for the folder: The "Temporary ASP.NET" folder does have full control permission for both Local and Network services. They don't have special permissions though, does that matter?
    How can I add Special permission for this folder?

    thanks, J

    jasari, Sep 13, 2006
  4. jasari

    fredde_d

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Are you running the correct version of .net?

    If your code is written in 2.0 but the virtual directory is configured for 1.1 you can experience that problem the the Off parameter doesn't have any effect.

    /Fredrik

    fredde_d, Apr 4, 2007
  5. jasari

    fredde_d

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry.. Just realized that this was an quite old post...

    /Fredrik

    fredde_d, Apr 4, 2007