customer moving house problem

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Graham J, Aug 13, 2014.

  1. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Customer buys new house. Moved in on 6 August. Successfully arranged
    for line rental and call charges through his preferred supplier. Phone
    service works OK.

    He now wants broadband. I apply on his behalf to Zen. Their website
    says there is already an internet service on that line, so it wants a
    migration code.

    Previous owner clearly did have broadband - almost certainly FTTC given
    the Openreach-installed faceplate filter and extension wiring.

    But why was this not cancelled automatically when previous owner sold
    the property?

    Would you expect buyer's solicitor to have checked for that, in the same
    way that he should have verified that the previous owner's mortgage was
    paid up, electricity, gas and water bills were paid up, that the new
    owner is not responsible for maintaining the local church, and that he
    is properly informed about local building works affecting the property,
    etc ....

    Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

    Is it likely this will resolve itself because there is delay in the BT
    system as regards recording cancellations? We think the previous
    broadband supplier was BT.

    Graham J, Aug 13, 2014

  2. Graham J

    Davey Guest

    I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that the checks for somebody
    leaving would only be that all bills are paid, not that the services
    have been terminated. For other services, such as water, electricity,
    gas, it would be better if they were maintained during a short
    transition rather than stopped.

    Davey, Aug 13, 2014

  3. Graham J

    David Guest

    You say the Zen website wants a MAC have you not phoned Zen and asked
    them about problem?
    Can Zen not set account up over the phone?
    Regards
    David

    David, Aug 13, 2014
  4. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    David wrote:

    [snip]

    Yes, I phoned Zen. They can't move until either they get a MAC or the
    previous service is cancelled.

    I understand there are new OFCOM rules coming into force November 2014.

    More info at:
    http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/co...omWebsiteButton&dm_i=IJT,2MZMV,2KOGOP,9N1SM,1

    Graham J, Aug 13, 2014
  5. Graham J

    Brian Mc Guest

    : Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

    : Is it likely this will resolve itself because there is delay in the BT
    : system as regards recording cancellations? We think the previous
    : broadband supplier was BT.

    I am not a lawyer BUT I do know that it is (or should be impossible) to
    have broadband without a phone line - OpenReach do not allow it and
    their system are setup to prevent it! The previous owner
    (presumably) terminating phone service WILL terminate any broadband
    he had - with possible some delay!

    Brian Mc, Aug 13, 2014
  6. It's also possible that the previous owners are continuing to pay for
    a broadband service they've forgotten about or didn't realise they
    needed to cancel. Perhaps they just cancelled the phone and thought
    that was enough. As long as their ISP continues to receive payments
    nothing will happen.

    Perhaps the best approach is via the previous owners of the house. You
    could ask them nicely to get in touch with their ISP to make sure the
    account is cancelled. For legal reasons a cancellation request would
    have to come from the registered account holder, who should be asked
    to verify some personal details relating to the account, so it's
    unlikely anyone else will be able to do this.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 13, 2014
  7. Graham J

    Davey Guest

    If that fails, t might be worth looking at asking for a new number, with
    new line if need be, and cancel the existing one. Then it would
    presumably fall into oblivion once nobody is paying for it. But if the
    current contract is with BT, then there is probably a minimum 12 month
    period before this can be done.
    Just thoughts.

    Davey, Aug 13, 2014
  8. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    I now know that the previous owner took the line number, rental, calls,
    and broadband with them to their new location. Their supplier was BT.

    My customer bought the new number, line rental, and calls from Unicom.
    He very carefully explained to them that he would not use them for
    broadband, and so far has not paid them anything in relation to
    broadband. I suspect this is either a mistake by Unicom - or more
    likely very sharp practise by their sales people.

    Consumer programmes on Radio 4 have warned against using Unicom for
    months now.

    So it's not the fault of the conveyancing solicitor ...

    Customer is now talking to Unicom. Don't hold your breath!

    Graham J, Aug 13, 2014
  9. Graham J

    David Guest

    Bought a phone number.
    Never heard of that before just thought you got allocated an unused one.
    Regards
    David

    David, Aug 13, 2014
  10. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Just a figure of speech - yes, probably then next unused number from Unicom.

    I'm sure there are services that will sell you "pretty" numbers. A local
    taxi business has 766666 and I've also seen 577777 in Colchester.

    Graham J, Aug 13, 2014
  11. Graham J

    Mark Carver Guest

    Most solicitors are still living in the 1950s, they are still fcuking
    about using snail mail, which of course stretches out conveyancing into
    an even longer painful process, fax machines are some new fangled device
    they refuse to trust. Consequently internet connections are simply not
    on their radar

    Mark Carver, Aug 13, 2014
  12. Graham J

    Mark Carver Guest

    'Five-Sevens Taxis'; I used them once, but that's another story !

    Mark Carver, Aug 13, 2014
  13. Graham J

    Graham. Guest

    XXX 0000 seems a common sought after taxi number in director areas.

    I cant remember any Manchester numbers ending with 0000 before
    modernisation. Perhaps strowger switches has an issue, or perhaps my
    memory has the issue.

    Graham., Aug 13, 2014
  14. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    More information:

    Zen tell me that BT is the broadband supplier on my customer's line.
    This is clearly not sensible because the line is provided by Unicom.

    My suspicion is that the physical line (known by its circuit number) is
    still associated with the previous owner's broadband service despite the
    fact that the previous owner has successfully moved his broadband
    service to a different address.

    Does anybody know of a person in BT who can resolve this, and can
    provide a phone number so I can talk to them?

    TIA

    Graham J, Aug 14, 2014
  15. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Graham J wrote:

    [snip]

    My customer has spent all morning on the phone to Zen, Unicom, and BT.
    The story is:

    1) Previous owner moved away taking number, billing, calls, and
    broadband with them. So far so good.

    2) On 6 August my customer orders line rental and calls from Unicom and
    gets the number ending 767666. This works almost immediately and he
    commissions printed information for his clients showing this number.

    3) Today Unicom investigate and find that the number is also connected
    to premises about half a mile away. Clearly a BT Openreach wiring
    fault. This service has broadband from BT configured on it.

    4) Unicom establish that the property half a mile away will release the
    number on 25 August (not sure why, but probably this subscriber was
    terminating his contract anyway).

    5) Openreach will send an engineer within a few hours to disconnect
    767666 from the wiring to my customer's premises. My customer will
    therefore be without any landline service until after 25 August.

    6) Unicom will get Openreach to connect my customer to the number 767666
    as soon as possible after 25 August.

    7) Zen will hold the order for broadband until 25 August, when they
    should be able to process it.

    My customer is now claiming from BT for lack of phone service, and to
    OFCOM about BT's incompetence. I think he still has steam coming out of
    his ears!!!

    The biggest difficulty has been in each of the parties getting useful
    information out of the other. Despite the poor reputation of Unicom my
    customer was pleasantly surprised at the determination of their
    representative to get to the bottom of the problem - I think he
    overheard him shouting at BT on the other line!

    Graham J, Aug 14, 2014
  16. That's a hell of a number. Reminds me of Demon Internet dial-up.

    [...]
    Oh well, at least it's not the end of the world...

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 14, 2014
  17. Graham J

    Paul Cummins Guest

    To be fair, when I am in litigation and dealing with a solicitor, I
    insist on documents being sent by mail.

    Paul Cummins, Aug 14, 2014
  18. Graham J

    Adrian C Guest

    Back in '97 our church district chose Demon Internet for email services,
    so a few members had to put up with a '@demon' in their contact email
    addresses. This eventually got exorcised :)

    Adrian C, Aug 14, 2014
  19. Graham J

    Mark Carver Guest

    IIRC a few years ago there was a christain church special events radio
    licence, that was awarded by Ofcom, using 666 kHz. It got another
    allocation !

    Mark Carver, Aug 14, 2014
  20. Graham J

    DrTeeth Guest

    Because they get paid by the hour. It is not in their interests to
    work efficiently.
    --
    Cheers,

    DrT

    ** You've never known happiness until you're married;
    ** but by then it is too late.

    DrTeeth, Aug 17, 2014