  1. I want to customize my 404 error message. What steps do I need to take. I
    have a text file designed....but can't seem to make it work.

    Stu Loventhal

    Stu Loventhal, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Stu Loventhal

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Did you right-click on IIS Website/Properties/Custom Error and select the
    404 Error message and override the file location?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Stu Loventhal

    DennisC Guest

    Hello Stu,
    On Windows 2000 Advanced Server the file is located in the following
    path: C:\WINNT\Help\iisHelp\Common\404b.htm
    Open in Notepad or the editor of your choice and customize as
    you desire. I would recommend you make a copy and place in in a temp
    file, edit it, open in the browser until you have got it and then
    copy back to the help folder and overwrite the original file or
    rename the original to retain it. Otherwise you would have to uninstall
    IIS and reinstall it to get the default file back. A text file will not
    work, it must be a HTML Web Page. To insure the default web site is
    using the new page go back to My Computer | Manage | Services and
    Applications |Internet Information Services/Default Web Site
    Properties/Custom Errors
    Have fun....
    DennisC

    DennisC, Aug 6, 2004