Curves - Making the cut

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    1930 2-door Lincoln Cabriolet.

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012

  3. Polly the Parrott, Nov 13, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    The rear-view mirrors were mounted on the fender-mounted spare tires
    on many cars of this era. The top image here is the Lincoln's mirror,
    and the bottom image is a LaSalle showing their mounting system.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbtup9adjv5lnwe/mirrors.jpg

    These photos were taken Sunday at the Winter Park FL Concours
    D'Elegance. It's a great show for classic automobile enthusiasts, but
    a terrible show for photographers. The older classic cars are in a
    park area that has a lot of trees, so the light is very dappled sun
    and shadow.

    The crowds are immense, so getting a clear shot of any car is a
    problem. This is a joke shot I took for a friend that was going to
    go, but was afraid the crowds would block all shots. He was right.
    The green bits are the same Lincoln my other photo.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o66z9dhz77axysq/2012-11-11-66.jpg

    For the original photo I posted here, I cropped it to emphasize that
    curve of the fender. All I could do at this show was photograph small
    areas of a vehicle.

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  5. Polly the Parrott, Nov 13, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
    model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
    I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
    authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.

    The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
    chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
    then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.

    Me, I just take photographs.

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Nov 13, 2012
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Hey...I'm a photographer, not a paint and body man. That's exactly
    the look the actual vehicle had.

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    I wish I was able to predict the questions when I take a photograph so
    I could ask the owner. My eye was on the vehicle as a photographic
    subject. The idea of a fender being a curve had hit me earlier in the
    day, but the cars with the best fender curves (A Bugatti and a Jag
    XK-120) were not good photographic subjects. The Bugatti was black,
    highly reflective and positioned such that my circular polarizer had
    no effect. The Jag was white, out on the street, and a blow-out
    nightmare. A few others were rejected for hubcap reflection problems.

    The Lincoln was positioned OK for the section I wanted, out of shadow
    on that side, and those popsicle green spokes promised some drama. It
    never occurred to me to ask the owner if the chain was authentic.

    Logic tells me it is. Who would fabricate a chain when a leather
    strap is easier to make? A chain would resist the elements better
    than leather. Anyone who puts money in a restoration like this would
    naturally choose authentic parts if the authentic part is easy to find
    or duplicate. A leather strap certainly is.

    Does it make any difference, though? To me, it's the curve, the
    colors, and the recurring pattern of circles.

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Most of that statement would apply to a woman, as well.

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    You did a nice job with that image.

    I was poking around your site, and think you have some nice images.
    Regarding your animals, I wish you had made tighter crops, as you did
    with the gull. Also, I would have tried to highlight the eyes and face.
    Try to tone down some of the body hot spots and darken the background,
    where appropriate. Shooting in bright sunlight can be a real bear.
    Please keep showing your work.

    BTW

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Charles what's-his-face makes fun of my comments about cropping, but -
    to me - what you leave in and what you take out is as important as
    finding the subject.

    This image of Rich's, and a few other of his architectural shots, are
    stronger because of the crop. In my opinion, the crop can tell viewer
    what the image is all about. The camera can only frame within the
    restrictions of the native image size. The photographer takes over
    from there.

    I tried to do this with the shot of the Lincoln.

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Many photographers make the mistake of trying to show the subject in
    context. As a result, the beauty of the capture gets lost in the detail.
    Quite often, I enlarge an so I can work on the detail, and I see a crop
    as much stronger.
    Yes! in art, less is quite often more.

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  14. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Maybe this will be the SI of the close-ins.

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  15. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Not when you see one of my submissions.

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  16. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Two years ago a took my Nikon 500 mirror out of retirement. But was not
    happy with the results. I will probably try it on an FX.

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  17. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Wind will fit the mandate perfectly. It can turn straight lines into
    curve. I am trying for curves in unfamiliar places.

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  18. tony cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    Wait a minute, there's a concourse held on Amelia Island now?!?!?!?!?!
    I grew up there and the only automotive event of any significance was
    the SCCA race at the airport. Little mill and fishing town where the
    black and white high schools were still in the process of being merged.
    I guess it's been gentrified beyond all recognition.

    J. Clarke, Nov 15, 2012
  19. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    Oh, yeah. It's a big one. Great for photographers because the cars
    are spread out in an open area.

    tony cooper, Nov 15, 2012
  20. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    My images weren't crispy sharp. It could be the lens, it could be the
    sensor, or it could be me. I was using a tripod. Since I was not happy
    when I used the lens on film, it is me or the lens.

    PeterN, Nov 17, 2012