Current status of web-based secure email?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by amca01, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. amca01

    amca01 Guest

    The only reference I can find, on the web, is an old Crypto-Gram:

    http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-9908.html#Web-BasedEncryptedE-Mail

    where Bruce Schneier looks at a few of the contenders, and damns them
    with faint praise, ends up saying that Hushmail, in spite of some
    obvious security vulnerabilities, is better than nothing, but not to be
    compared with PGP or S/MIME.

    Well, those comments were made back in 1999. What I want to know is -
    is there any more recent criticism or analysis of secure web-based
    email? How do the current versions of Hushmail, S-Mail, MailVault and
    so on compare with PGP or S/MIME? Where do they store private keys,
    and how safe, really, are they?

    Thanks,
    Alasdair

    amca01, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Hushmail is now considered a pretty solid web-based service. For one
    thing, Phil Zimmerman (PGP fame, etc.) is now on the board and is
    listed as "Chief Cryptographer." I would feel pretty good about that.

    -MT

    privatesurfing, Oct 9, 2006

  3. I would like to know more about Hushmail. Do they offer encryption for both
    outgoing and incoming webmail?
    Do they verify the identity of the sender and of the receiver?
    Can their webmail system be integrated with SSL certificates where the
    identity of the website has been
    verified by Equifax Secure Inc.?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 9, 2006