    recognmized and run as a 64-bit app or can I create and install all my
    64-bit and 32-bit applications on a different partition such as D:\Program
    Files for 64-bit apps and D:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit apps?

    AllenM, May 27, 2009

  2. As posted over on SBS NG, yes, you can install to D:\Program Files and
    D:\Program Files (x86) if you wish. Just make sure you don't mix and match
    32-bit and 64-bit applications in the same directory tree - that can get
    messy, especially since the file system (and registry) is viewed somewhat
    differently by 32-bit and 64-bit applications.

    An example of the file system differences. A 64-bit application uses the
    %windir%\System32 directory. It can also see (but doesn't normally use) the
    %windir%\SysWOW64 directory. A 32-bit application only sees the
    %windir%\SysWOW64 directory, _but it sees it as %windir%\System32._ (And if
    that doesn't confuse you the first time you see it, you're better than the
    rest of us!)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2009

  3. AllenM

    AllenM Guest