    Windows XP home on a 2 year old Dell wit IE 7 (all prior updates used).
    Appears clear of malware, currently using Trend Micro PC-cillin, Spybot
    Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware.

    DZN, Jun 17, 2007

  2. DZN

    Pennywise Guest

    Forget the update, and start using a browser that doesn't require a
    security patch each week www.Opera.com www.IE7.com
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933566

    Pennywise, Jun 17, 2007

  3. DZN

    Pennywise Guest

    The update fixes another buffer overflow
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_vul31927.htm

    It's mostly buffer overflows with MS...

    "Bad Programming

    Buffer overflow results from a well-known, easily understood
    programming error. If a program doesn't check for overflow on each
    character and stop accepting data when its buffer is filled, a
    potential buffer overflow is waiting to happen. However, such checking
    has been regarded as unproductive overhead"
    www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,82920,00.html
    or http://tinyurl.com/27lovt

    Pennywise, Jun 17, 2007
  4. DZN

    Bob B Guest

    Have a look at task manager (ctrl alt delete) look under the processes tab
    and see if the cpu is being used at 100%

    If it is highlight and "end process" and report back if the computer now
    runs normally

    BB

    Bob B, Jun 17, 2007
  5. DZN

    DZN Guest

    pcscnsvr.exe seemed to be the resource hog. Ending that helped overall. It
    didn't get IE7 working again though. I'm not sure pcscnsvr.exe and the
    problem are related. The idea of using a different browser may have merit
    but I've used Mozilla in the past and didn't like it. Besides I am looking
    for a cure, not a work around. Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.

    DZN, Jun 17, 2007
  6. DZN

    DZN Guest

    pcscnsvr.exe appears to the resource problem, but not the IE7 problem. It
    is a Trend Micro issue. PC-Cillin and SPybot conflict.

    Still looking for suggestions re: Security update and IE& crashing.

    DZN, Jun 17, 2007
  7. DZN

    Pennywise Guest

    I had thought you fixed the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933566

    Use Process explorer to find the cause of your resource problem.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

    Click on the CPU graph to expand, holding your mouse over the line
    will tell you what program is taking up all the CPU.

    Double clicking on the process will give more info.

    If you really want to put some time into this use Process Monitor
    http://tinyurl.com/y355ao use the filters to only monitor IE - start
    by searching for faultrep.dll, it starts the error reporting, look
    above it for problems (faultrep.dll search doesn't always work).

    ---
    First time I used IE was in Win95, I went to microsoft.com and saw
    what ActiveX was capable of; Second time I used IE was to download
    Netscape (no ActiveX).

    I have never really used IE since, and it has to ask to get past the
    firewall.

    Give www.opera.com a try, anything but IE is just safe hex.

    Pennywise, Jun 17, 2007
  8. DZN

    Bob B Guest

    Pennywise has answered your question better than I can. The only thing I can
    suggest is you run IE without add ons (system tools) and see if that makes
    any difference. I came across this info from microsoft if you have a problem
    with this security update..would be worth a read

    Bob B, Jun 17, 2007
  9. DZN

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 19, 2007