CSS 11503 Gig over Copper Ports - Talk to Fast Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by amigan, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. amigan

    amigan Guest

    I am not having any luck getting link between the Gig over copper ports
    on a CSS11503 and the fast ethernet ports on a 4006 Cat. I have been
    searching for a definitive answer on this in Cisco documentation but
    have ended up with just hints. I've tried cross-over and straight
    through cables. If I connect the gig port 1/1 on CSS A to gig port 1/1
    on CSS B I do get link light. But if I connect gig port 1/1 on CSS A
    to any enabled fast ethernet port on a catalyst 4006 I get absolutely
    nothing.

    This web site
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/webscale/css/css_720/cmdrefgd/cmdintfc.htm

    ...offers a hint that Gig will not be able to figure out negotiation.
    Not the "Fast Ethernet Only":

    "enables the CSS ports to automatically detect the network line speed
    (Fast Ethernet only) "

    And when I try to hard code the gig interfaces to 100Mbps the CSS does
    not permit me to do so. Can anyone point me to something more
    definitive information about connecting CSS gig over copper interfaces
    to a fast ethernet switch? Thanks.

    amigan, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Hi amigan,

    You may also wish to investigate -

    You cannot use L2 devices on the ISC links between the two CSSs.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a00801577ce.html#wp1043498

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco CraigsList Job Openings
    http://www.bradreese.com/craigslist-networking-jobs.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Technical Forums
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-technical-newsgroups.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 15, 2006

  3. amigan

    amigan Guest

    Hi Brad. Thanks for your reply. I am just hoping to use the gig
    interface for receiving http/s requests and balancing the traffic. I
    believe the ISC is for state communication between a redundant pair of
    CSS's. And for that I would just use a cross-over - no switch between
    the CSS's. No problem there. But the issue is I can't get the http/s
    requests to the CSS if the gig over copper int can't get link to a
    Cisco 4006 fast ethernet port.

    amigan, Aug 15, 2006
  4. amigan

    BoneHed

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Copper SFP?

    Hi,

    I think you may have a couple of issues here:

    1) I was not aware that the copper SFP were supported in a CSS1500.

    2) Copper SFP ONLY support 1000/Full, they will not negotiate Ethernet or FastEthernet speeds, so if the SFP does work you will need to connect it to a Gigabit interface.

    cheers!

    BoneHed, Nov 14, 2006