    in a column for the online photo magazine Vivid Light Photography."

    For the complete article, see:

    http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0523/p11s01-ussc.html

    Mxsmanic, May 23, 2005

  2. Simply enough--shoot what you want to, ignore the overzealous zealots. Don't
    "snoop," but if you're in public--shoot what you want, because backing down
    will only make the overzealous think they can stop all photography. They
    can't, we won't let them.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, May 23, 2005

  3. Mxsmanic

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Be sure to tell the agents that as you photograph the Nuclear Power
    Plant from the road. Also, set your tripod up outside an aircraft
    plant, or a defense installation, and see if you like visiting an FBI
    office for a few hours. Sure, you MAY get away with it, or you may not.
    I don't think you want to be informed of the various conditions of the
    Patriot Act while someone examines all your photographs.

    Ron Hunter, May 23, 2005
  4. Mxsmanic

    Stacey Guest

    Didn't you just post the other day you've never heard of anyone being
    bothered because of this Patriot act?

    Stacey, May 23, 2005
  5. Ron Hunter wrote in part:

    Hell, Ron, it might be worth the trouble if he actually *does* get
    informed of all the various conditions of the Patriot Act. He'd be a lot
    better informed than the Congresscritters who voted for the blasted thing.

    Corry

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become
    the instruments of tyranny at home" - James Madison

    Unclaimed Mysteries, May 23, 2005
  6. Or the Holland Tunnel or Brooklyn Bridge (I think the prohibition is
    for shooting from those, not at).

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, May 23, 2005
  7. Timing is everything:

    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/311945p-266702c.html

    Click away without fear, shutterbugs - a controversial proposal to ban
    photography in the subways is dead.

    The Police Department recently told transit officials the photo ban is
    unnecessary, the Daily News has learned.

    "We are not pressing for a ban," NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne
    told The News.

    Not having a ban will not hinder the NYPD's efforts to safeguard the
    city's vast transit system, Browne said.

    "Our officers will continue to investigate, and intercede if
    necessary, if the activity - photo-related or not - is suspicious," he
    said.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, May 23, 2005
  8. Mxsmanic

    ASAAR Guest

    Heard on the radio yesterday that the ban on taking photos on the
    subway is no more. Henceforth the police will take no action
    against photographers unless they are doing something obviously
    suspicious. I wonder if some politician's long dormant neurons
    suddenly started working, or something else brought about the
    change. Such as bad tourism PR, or harrassing the wrong VIP?

    ASAAR, May 23, 2005
  9. Mxsmanic

    B. Peg Guest

    "Mxsmanic"wrote:
    Local TV news went to the public indoor shopping mall to cover a news story
    (shoplifting I think). The mall security got into it with them and told
    them they must leave and a scuffle ensued where they roughed the cameraman
    up. Then the city police showed up and arrested the news cameraman. There
    was a lot of news coverage (paper and TV) with threats of lawsuits etc.

    Don't know whatever became of the outcome though.

    B~

    B. Peg, May 23, 2005
  10. Mxsmanic

    editor Guest

    I never have had any problems photoing anything - even in Washington,
    four days after 9/11.
    You may be asked for ID - as in driver's license - but that's about it.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, May 23, 2005
  11. Mxsmanic

    Cynicor Guest

    I took a cell phone pic of a puppy at a mall pet store last weekend, and
    the clerk there yelled "NO PICTURES!" at me. I can't understand why
    not in that situation. Were they afraid that I was an investigator doing
    a story on the floor grates that allow puppy pee to cascade onto the dog
    below or something?

    They had cute beagle puppies though.

    Cynicor, May 23, 2005
  12. Mxsmanic

    editor Guest

    A shopping center is PRIVATE property! You have no legal right to
    be there - and can be expelled at the owner's will. It doesn't matter
    WHY he doesn't want you there.
    I've never had problems photoing stuff at malls here in North
    Carolina. BUT a mall in nearby Greensboro is cracking down - on
    teenagers! It hands out to all of them a "rules card" about the mall's
    rules for kids.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, May 23, 2005
  13. Mxsmanic

    Owamanga Guest

    4 days wasn't enough time for the hysteria to attack the
    constitutional rights of the individual, 4 years is. I was working in
    the London at the time of 9/11, flew back to Florida about a week
    after and didn't have to take my shoes off, didn't have to check in 3
    hours before the flight, didn't have to have provided my passport
    number first, didn't have to leave my luggage unlocked and I could
    carry nail clippers and a lighter. 4 Years later and it's a completely
    different game.

    Owamanga, May 23, 2005
  14. Mxsmanic

    editor Guest

    Owamanga quoted me:it.

    and replied:
    I'm talking about AMERICA - while you're talking about BRITAIN. The
    reality is that a Brit-style police state never did evolve in America -
    while Britain had one even BEFORE 9/11, with one police spy camera on
    its streets per 25 Brits (and much higher in urban areas).
    Flying domestic in America ALWAYS was a headache. Yes, it - always
    - involved get-there-early delays, etc. I don't remember anything
    good about it since deregulation.

    See the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, May 23, 2005
  15. Mxsmanic

    Cynicor Guest

    But they still don't do all that stuff at Heathrow. No shoe carnival, no
    "laptops out." Technically, the shoe carnival is not a requirement in
    the USA either, but it's willfully misinterpreted by gate staff who want
    to give people a hard time.

    Cynicor, May 23, 2005
  16. Mxsmanic

    Owamanga Guest

    WTF did you get that number? You seriously expect people to believe
    that the UK has 2.4 million police cameras?

    ....right...
    Last time I checked, Florida was still part of the US. I was referring
    to a US bound flight from the UK about 6 days after 9/11 - no
    problems.

    Repeat this trans-atlantic flight 4 years later. BOTH directions,
    shoes off, 3 hr checkin, car searched into airport, luggage locks
    disallowed, no nail clippers, passport numbers have to be supplied
    prior to checkin, no lighters in either checked bags, cabin bags or on
    your person.

    LOTS has changed, and it was BY THE US.

    US hijackings for the 5 years prior to 9/11 = 0.000%
    US hijackings for the 5 years after 9/11 = 0.000%

    So WHY are we doing this exactly?

    Owamanga, May 23, 2005
  17. Mxsmanic

    Owamanga Guest

    I've seen it done 4 times since at at either Gatwick or Heathrow.
    Granted, flying from Gatwick to Alicante, Spain post 9/11 is a
    completely different experience than Lauderdale to Atlanta (wearing a
    suit, so shoes off again - last year). Now I travel international
    wearing sneakers so it doesn't affect me, other than to delay the
    lines even more.

    Owamanga, May 23, 2005
  18. Mxsmanic

    Alan Browne Guest

    The problem with these things is, as always, that Depooty-Doofus isn't
    always up to date with policy, and esp. not with policy reversals.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, May 23, 2005
  19. Canadian Government Report sets the number at 2.5 million

    http://www.cai.gouv.qc.ca/06_documentation/01_pdf/summary_report.pdf

    Go read it.

    BBC article on "2.5 million".

    And ACLU

    http://www.aclu.org/NationalSecurity/NationalSecurity.cfm?ID=10059&c=111

    "The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
    singular, and unsatisfactory."

    Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
    Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
    November 14, 1866

    John A. Stovall, May 23, 2005
  20. Mxsmanic

    Tee Guest

    Probably thought you were with PETA or about to do a news story on
    puppymills.

    Tee, May 23, 2005