crystals bumping together make snow

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by neville, May 16, 2005.

  1. neville

    neville Guest

    How does snow form?

    Snow crystals form in clouds when the temperature is below freezing. They
    are made by water droplets freezing onto ice particles. As an ice crystal
    falls through the cloud it bumps into others and becomes a snowflake. This
    processing of bumping into others, along with some melting and re-freezing
    helps to form their complex design. The air that the snowflake falls through
    has to be above freezing otherwise the snowflake will melt and turn to rain.

    What do snowflakes look like?

    Snowflakes are always six sided and it is thought that no two are ever the
    same. The shape and form of a snowflake depends on the temperature and
    amount of moisture within the cloud. Snowflakes can be divided into six main
    shapes, plate (flat), stars, column, needle, dendrite (lacy) and capped
    column. When it is very cold the snow is very fine and powdery and the
    snowflakes are quite simple in design, normally rod or needle shaped. When
    the temperature is closer to freezing point (0 degrees Celsius), the
    snowflakes are much larger and more complex in design, such as a star.

    The Snowflake Man

    An American photographer called Wilson A Bentley spent much of his life
    looking at snowflakes and taking pictures of them. He developed a huge
    collection of several thousand photographs of snowflakes and was nicknamed
    'The Snowflake Man'. In 1925 he was quoted as saying: "Under the microscope,
    I found that snowflakes were miracles of beauty; and it seemed a shame that
    this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal was
    a masterpiece of design and no one design was ever repeated. When a
    snowflake melted, that design was forever lost. "

    More information on Wilson 'Snowflake' Bentley

    Snow facts

    It is recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records, that the world's
    largest snowflake was 38 cm wide and 20 cm thick. This occurred at Fort
    Keogh, Montana, USA on 28 January 1887.

    The tallest snowman ever made measured 34.63 metres and was made by
    residents of Bethel, Maine, USA. It took 14 days to build, finally being
    completed on 17 February 1999. Nicknamed Angus, he had vehicle tyres for his
    mouth and trees for arms.

    Activity

    Why not try making your own snowflakes out of paper. Check out the art
    section for more information.

    neville, May 16, 2005

  2. neville

    joevan Guest

    Hey neville, you know anything about Christmas trees?

    joevan, May 16, 2005

  3. neville

    Old Gringo Guest

    Cool article thanks for sharing. I kind of knew about the snow
    flakes but not about the photographer. Interesting.

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  4. neville

    joevan Guest

    I just watched the video clip of him and his work. Bently that is.
    I tried to tell those grumps the other day that Neville had some good
    stuff but they just wouldn't listen. Too bad they be such grumps in
    dis world.
    http://snowflakebentley.com/wm384k.asx

    joevan, May 16, 2005
  5. neville

    Old Gringo Guest

    Just with casual observation I watch some in one breath say nothing
    is off topic in this group and in the next breath call someone a
    Troll for their post. Goes to show you the the statement that the
    mentally impaired are not aware they are nuts is very true. :)

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  6. neville

    Old Gringo Guest

    Be sure to read my post at how to kill a chicken. :)

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  7. neville

    Old Gringo Guest

    PS: Oh, Thanks for that link.

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  8. neville

    neville Guest

    Thank you and joevan, it is nice to be appreciated now and then. I am
    feeling very off topic at the moment and am not fixing my computer.
    My posting server is now officially crap so I have to read with another and
    try to post with teranews till I get another account.
    I have read the chicken thread and intend to purchase a live one tomorrow.
    As a pet.

    neville, May 16, 2005
  9. neville

    Old Gringo Guest

    Good Luck.. Have fun with your new pet :) If you are really with AOL
    why not change ISPs? Just a thought.

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005