Crossing the OS Divide With Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Au79

    Wurk Guest

    Slackware and Free BSD is much better than that copy cat Linux.

    Wurk, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Au79

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Isn't Slackware Linux too? And I'm sure a lot of home users don't want
    to go about having to manually install a GUI on FreeBSD. (But then of
    course they could always just get PC-BSD, which is FreeBSD with KDE
    preinstalled.)

    AnonyMouse, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Yes, it's one of the Linux distros.

    FreeBSD is developed from UNIX.

    Linux was developed from minix.

    IIRC the history is :-

    First UNIX released in 1971.

    First BSD released in 1977.

    First edition of AIX released in 1990.

    First edition of FreeBSD released in 1993.

    First edition of RedHat linux released in 1994.

    William Poaster, Dec 16, 2006
  5. Yep, but minix was 16-bit, so Torvalsd made it 32-bit for better
    comapibility with hte newer processors.
    Unix was originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell
    Labs
    I switched many years ago, and wouldn't go back under threat of death.

    True, you have to be more savvy technically, but learning is fun.

    Linux (except the 'Live' versions where you are always in supervisor mode)
    is the safest and most secure desktop OS there is.

    FWIW.

    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot
    of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

    -- Wizard Of Oz

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Dec 29, 2008
  6. Good grief, Jimchip, that post was from 2006! :)

    William Poaster, Dec 29, 2008
  7. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Say, I'm glad I found you. I have a couple of Linux questions, if you don't
    mind. Hardware-wise.

    Mara, Dec 29, 2008
  8. Ok, what's the problem?

    William Poaster, Dec 29, 2008
  9. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Well, there's a few. I was given a system, a 1.7 Celeron, 512MB DDR memory, in
    working condition. It had a WD 80GB drive that I'm going to try to install
    Slackware on, and I added an Seagate 80GB WD that I want to install Ubuntu on.

    With Slackware, I have a large choice of file systems to use. I'm inclined to
    use either ext3 or reiserFS, but don't know which would be better. Suggestions?

    Ubuntu should be an easy install. *Should* be. I say that because after I put
    the second drive in things went wonky. The BIOS sees both drives correctly, but
    noting will install on either, and I mean *no* OS of any kind. On either drive.
    slackware just throws tons of fatal errors, and Mandriva started to install and
    then just reboots itself. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is and really
    haven't had time to look, but I know the jumpers and cables are right, so I
    might try loading Gparted and seeing what it says and repartitioning them.

    Again, any suggestions?

    BTW, I forgot to thank you before for the Mandriva help on the other Phenom box.
    It went on very nicely and will make an excellent tool to use with my Ham base
    station. :)

    If you want to take this to e-mail, you know where I am.

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  10. Are these both internally mounted drives?

    Seagate is not a good choice, anyway. There has been a lot of controversy
    over their USB drives not working with any flavour of Linux, and they
    actually postedon their website. "Seagate drives are /not/ meant to be
    used with Linux." (Although I had two that did work.....)
    I'd suggest ext2, then ext3, for compatibility reasons.

    FWIW, and good luck!

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Dec 30, 2008
  11. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Wish I could say the same, but oh, well.
    Yep.

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  12. Au79

    Mara Guest

    I've used ReiserFS before but I can't remember which distro it was with. It's
    been a long time since I had time to mess about with things.
    BTDT. Ran each drive separately and tried both installed as single drives. Both
    detected in BIOS as single master drives then, installs on both drives failed to
    install. I know the PS in the system is good because I replaced it myself last
    summer when the machine was still being used for business. I know the WD drive
    is good because it was happily running XP before I monkeyed with it. The system,
    though old, (Asus P4S333-VM board) was sound. The Seagate hard drive, I don't
    know about. It was a "gimme," and that's the only reason I have it. I would
    never buy one.

    Slackware would let me make a swap partition and a root partition, but not a
    user/home partition. I'm not familiar with it at all though, so I don't even
    know if I was partitioning it correctly.

    And yes, my e-mail is still the same as it was. Feel free.

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  13. Au79

    Aardvark Guest

    Gparted is on the Ubuntu 8.04 installation disc. Run it live, open a
    console, type 'sudo gparted' and it'll run to your satisfaction
    (hopefully).

    I did exactly the same thing tonight on one of my boxes.

    HTH

    Aardvark, Dec 30, 2008
  14. Au79

    Mara Guest

    I'm still trying to figure out what the system problem is. I've checked,
    double-checked, under-checked, over-checked, and thoroughly absolutely checked,
    and the drives are hooked up correctly and are detected correctly. I fail to see
    why *something* won't install *somewhere.* I did wonder if it was because it had
    only had a cd-rom in it and I pulled that and installed a different one and a
    10x DVD-rom I had lying around and thought maybe it might be taxing the power
    supply, but my old 1.333s are running the same power supply with a lot more
    hardware without problems, and have been for several years now. The only thing I
    can guess is that the partitions have either failed or simply aren't there.
    Slackware makes a show of doing the partitioning and starting to install, but
    then come all the fatal errors. Then I wondered if it was a bad burn, so I
    tossed the copy I made on the internal burner and used one of my externals to do
    it. If anything there were more errors. It makes no sense.

    But then, few things do nowadays. If you know what I mean.
    I don't want to do anything right now that requires thinking. I am still trying
    to deal with the loss of my father, and things at ork are particularly tense.
    It's going under and the firings have begun.

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  15. Au79

    G. Morgan Guest

    I'm sorry for your loss, Mara.

    G. Morgan, Dec 30, 2008
  16. Au79

    Mara Guest

    Thank you.

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  17. I see....
    When I used SuSE, I used ReiserFS. But for the last few years, I've used
    ext3.

    In brief:
    ext3 is a journaled filesystem. It keeps a record of what it's
    about to write, then if the PC crashes while writing, it is generally
    possible to recover without massive file system corruption. The visible
    effect is simply less corruption upon power failure or crash.

    Reiser is also a journaled filesystem. There are claims that it can be a
    lot faster if dealing with large numbers of small files, but I couldn't
    say if it is or not.

    The majority of Linux users seem to think that there is very little
    difference between the two filesystems.
    Neither require defragging. :)
    Hm..well I was going to suggest the jumpers, "master" & "slave", but do
    NOT use cable select!
    That's given me one or two hiccups in the past.
    YW! :)
    Ok, or perhaps ICQ? Then I can talk you through it. :)

    William Poaster, Dec 30, 2008
  18. Au79

    Mara Guest

    When I get the hardware straightened out I'll try ext3 then.
    Yes. Nice. :)
    It kind of stinks, doesn't it? No, I even went so far as to download the jumper
    settings for both drives so I could make sure they were set correctly.
    Works for me. :)

    Mara, Dec 30, 2008
  19. Au79

    Aardvark Guest

    It never rains, but it pours, eh?

    My dad died in early October last year and even though in latter years we
    didn't see each other as much as we would have liked, at least nothing
    was left unsaid between us. Despite this, I'm still struggling to come to
    terms with his loss (in my quieter moments, not all the time), so I
    really feel for you.

    One of my brothers and my sister live closer to my parents and saw much
    more of him in the years before he died and I can only imagine how much
    more keen their grief is than is my own.

    The most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my life was to write and
    read his eulogy at the funeral service, but I had more fun on that day
    than I had on any one day for many years. Irish funerals are the best :)

    Chin up, take one day (minute, second) at a time.

    Aardvark, Dec 30, 2008
  20. Mara wrote:

    Hans Reiser is out of the game, as we know. I have used reiserfs and even
    reiser4 for a while, but now went back to ext3 and xfs for media/vdr files.
    Later on, ext4 will be a upgrade path without having to reformat.
    If it's not the jumpers, it might still be the cables. Remember, no "hanging
    tails" are allowed with pata cables. You will surely find some spare 80wire
    cables to try, before you consider digging deeper.
    I would run smartctl -a on the drives from a livecd, and then hdparm -tT and
    again smartctl -a and compare.
    Or run a "long offline" smart test (smartctl -t offline /dev/... ) and watch
    parameters afterwards.

    Good Luck and a happy New Year :)

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 30, 2008