    the groups or only in those that one's ISP makes available?

    Thanks.

    Martin

    Martin, Apr 17, 2005

  2. Martin

    Sultan Guest

    Only those the ISP makes available.

    Sultan, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    First of all, some people crosspost way too much. Mostly you shouldn't
    crosspost at all. Crossposting should be the rare exception, not the
    standard practice. And some reasons for a little bit of crossposting
    should always be constructed to have the f/ups to a single group.

    Secondly, there is no reason to respect the crossposting that someone
    else has created. If you read a crossposted item in some group and you
    choose to reply, it would probably be wise to just reply in the group
    where you saw it and trim those other inappropriately crossposted
    groups. Some people don't agree with my opinions about/against
    crossposting.

    The concept that someone thinks anything they have to say is so
    important that it needs to be crossposted to various groups is zany.
    And, there's no way that the various directions one particular thread
    may go off into can possibly be appropriate for all those original
    multiple groups of a crossposting.

    Then, back to the issue. It depends.

    Some provider's newsservers are designed so that if a provider specific
    newsgroup is included in a crosspost, then the crossposting only goes to
    the provider specific group, and it isn't propagated anywhere else.

    Some other provider's newsservers are designed/configured so that it is
    possible to post to a newsgroup which isn't even included in the
    newsservers feeds.

    For example; posting to an EL specific newsgroup with a message
    configured to crosspost to non-EL specific newsgroups will result in the
    message not being propagated to anything but the EL specific group.

    Posting to a RR specific ng with the message configured to crosspost to
    non-RR specific groups will result in the message being propagated to
    both the RR specific group as well as the non-RR specific group; and
    what's more, replying to that message from an EL [not RR] server can
    result in the message getting propagated to the RR specific group, even
    tho' the newsagent may 'complain' that you are trying to post to a ng
    which is not accessible.

    Mike Easter, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Martin

    SgtMinor Guest

    Do a Google Group search for the groups your ISP doesn't provide. If
    posts from those groups show up in Google, it should be possible to
    check your posts.

    SgtMinor, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated!

    Martin

    Martin, Apr 18, 2005