    I think it's pretty cheesy when people are afraid to post their real
    email addresses.

    Greg

    G.T., Mar 1, 2006

  2. Yeah....What's "creepy" about people knowing your real email address? I am
    70, and have been in the telephone book all of my life, under the name of
    William E. Graham. I post under that name, and with the email address
    I live in Salem, Oregon, and anyone who wants to talk to
    me can telephone me or email me at any time. (I do turn off my telephone
    late in the evening, and turn it on again the next morning, so my sleep
    won't be interrupted, but a message will be taken in any case.)
    All of the above was true long before computers were even invented.

    William Graham, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I try to eliminate the cross-posting of messages when I reply (If I
    notice) as I feel the the ability to cross-post is contrary to good
    Newsgroup posting practice. I also use my real email address, and have
    for over 10 years on the internet. Perhaps if everyone were required to
    do so, there would be much more civilized conversation on the groups,
    and less name-calling, and viciousness. Some people take the anonymity
    available on the internet and use it to say things they wouldn't say to
    a person's face (for fear of physical consequences).

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Another reason to avoid posting replies without editing the newsgroups
    is that I wouldn't like to be seen to have posted into some groups on
    might include in a cross-post. It is perfectly possible to have one's
    posts cross-posted to alt.binaries.pictures.kiddyporn (if there is such
    a group) if one doesn't pay close attention to the groups to which one's
    replies go....

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  6. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Consider the possibility that the cross-posts may be to a group like
    alt.pictures.pedophiles or something like that. Would you like your
    replies to be seen there?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    One need not post to newsgroups to get spam. My wife, who doesn't know
    what newsgroups are, gets much more spam daily than I do, and I have
    used my real address for over 10 years on newsgroups. EVERYONE gets
    spam, by virtue of having an email address.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I think that many people who obscure their addresses just feel that it
    is dangerous to not do so. Of course if one is habitually rude, or
    obnoxious on the newsgroups, this might be a wise precaution to take. I
    also get much more junk in snail mail than in my inbox, and no trees
    have to be cut down to create the email. I feel that the newsgroups
    would be a more pleasant place to be if everyone had to use his real
    address.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Not at all. I have had personal email from a few newsgroup posters and
    found it very enlightening, and often helpful (for one or the other of
    us). Of course if one is given to impolite posts, then that might be
    another matter.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  10. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I open even the obviously junk snail mail. It often has personal
    information inside, and that goes to the shredder before going in the
    trash... Identity theft is becoming an international problem of massive
    proportions.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Cross-posting is so often abused, and so easy to abuse, that I would
    really like a newsreader with the ability to eliminate cross-posts, and
    set replies ONLY to the group from which I am posting. Somehow this
    seems reasonable request. Sure would save a lot of effort on threads
    such as this one.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  12. Colin D

    Ron Hunter Guest

    That pretty much defines the territory. One might reply to a message
    that is cross-posted to a group he doesn't really want to be seen as
    having posted to, such as a kiddy-porn group, or one with a political or
    religious affiliation not consistent with one's belief system. I try to
    be aware of the groups to which a cross-post is going to prevent this
    problem. If a post is appropriate to more than one group, then I will
    repeat it in the other appropriate group. I would really like to see
    cross-posting eliminated as an option in all newsgroup readers.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2006
  13. Colin D

    ASAAR Guest

    My newsreader has had that ability for years, and that's the way
    I've configured it. This is copied from the help file, and the
    "selected newsgroup" is the one from which you're posting :

    ASAAR, Mar 1, 2006
  14. Colin D

    Paul Furman Guest

    Floyd covered it pretty thorougly & accurately here. I'm top-posting to
    preserve that & add a few comments.

    What I do with cross-posted threads including my own in chose one group
    to follow it & mark the other as ignored: this is necessary to preserve
    sanity and when folks eliminate the cross posts, they should announce it
    and know they may not reach the OP. That might make sense like not
    wanting to bore the 35mm gang with digital comments but the caveats
    still apply.

    I don't mind multiposting actually, that way each group makes their own
    unique replies & don't piss each other off but you can end up with
    redundant replies and lose the cross-pollinating benefits. But at least
    I don't have to read the same messages twice! That's just ridiculous.

    If the cross-posted message was done appropriately, leave it intact to
    maintain order. Multi-posting only makes sense where there is no
    technical answer sought, just opinions. Tell people if you are
    cross-posting or eliminating groups.

    I'll be marking all this ignored now <grin>.

    Paul Furman, Mar 1, 2006
  15. That'd be Forte Agent for those not that familiar with Headers. But it's
    easy enough to delete unwanted NG's in replies from any Newsreader.
    Agent can, I think I heard, set a filter on X-posts.

    John McWilliams, Mar 1, 2006
  16. Colin D

    ASAAR Guest

    Sort of, but it wouldn't help in exactly the way people here would
    want. Instead of eliminating *all* crossposted messages, it can be
    used to eliminate all but one, the idea being that if you've seen
    one, you don't need to waste time dealing with any of the dupes.
    With a minor tweak, Agent also allows the crossposted newsgroups to
    appear in a line just above the message, so delving into headers to
    see them isn't necessary.

    ASAAR, Mar 1, 2006
  17. Colin D

    Frank ess Guest

    If it has an "Addressee wil pay postage" reply envelope inside, I send
    it along, sealed, empty. I understand that is one of the few USPS
    services that pays for itself.

    Frank ess, Mar 1, 2006
  18. Colin D

    AustinMN Guest

    William Graham wrote:
    5 minutes a day comes out to more than 30 hours a year...almost a
    week's worth of work. My time is worth a lot more than that.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Mar 1, 2006
  19. Colin D

    Hunt Guest

    Oh, I've got about six other news servers, just not the right one(s) on my
    laptop by the pool. Yes, I could have gone to the office to respond, but have
    better things to do.

    I stated my opinion to the statement. If others missed it, it is their tough
    luck.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Mar 1, 2006
  20. No matter how you do it, you are going to have to balance your available
    time against messages lost. IOW, there is no way you can get important
    messages, and eliminate spam messages without it costing you time. If you
    don't post your real email address, then there are people who need to get in
    touch with you that won't be able to, and you will suffer from this as well.
    (I call this the living in the castle on the hill syndrome) Sure, you will
    save your 30 hours a year, but what, exactly will you do with those 30 hours
    that is more important than other people being able to get in touch with
    you, and send you attachments, and other things that are of interest? What
    it comes down to is the choice between interacting freely with the rest of
    mankind, or living in a shell of your own making. Have you never wanted to
    send someone something of interest, but were unable to, because he/she was
    unapproachable for some reason or other? - Well, if you are unapproachable,
    then you are putting this same burden on everyone else. You might as well
    become a TV commentator, and never read your email or answer your phone.
    Then you can talk to the rest of the world 24/7 and never have to hear any
    of their responses, so if anyone disagrees with you, you will never know

    William Graham, Mar 1, 2006