    I'll be upgrading to a "real" digi cam soon (5+MP anyway), but still
    not going the SLR route; does any vendor's camera work any better in
    these respects?

    Bert Hyman, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Bert Hyman

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Bert...

    I have many cameras, mostly Oly's, and I can't use the lcd to focus
    either. Though it seems the evf is a little better, still not much
    more than a shot in the dark.

    I believe that the lcd is itself the limiting factor, just not enough
    pixels to resolve much.

    My work-around, it it helps, is to take many shots, then choose the one
    I like. Just 5 minutes ago I took several macro shots of a marigold bud
    just opening right outside the front door. Each had the leaves behind
    the bud incredibly crisp while the bud itself was very soft. It was
    easy (being outside the front door :) to see the leaves were about an
    inch and a half behind the bud, and fix it by auto-focusing, locking,
    and backing up an inch and a half. Not exactly the way we wanted to
    do it, but...

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Bert Hyman

    [BnH] Guest

    The one I know is the Fuji S602z.
    Its magnifying glass feature enables you to zoom on an area more on the item
    before you shoot.
    + their super macro mode goes down to 1cm :)

    I am not sure if they carry that feature over to the S9500 btw.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Sep 16, 2005
  4. The Panasonic FZ20 also has this magnifying glass feature, and a manual
    focus ring around the lens barrel as well. The zoom is completely
    automatic - when you are on manual focus the zoom activates when you move
    the focus ring, and a normal view is restored a couple of seconds after
    you stop focussing. The Panasonic FZ30 also has manual focus and, I
    presume, the same magnifying glass feature.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Does it have a video out? If so, connecting to a TV monitor may help.
    However, (a) it does not actually give you a higher resolution image,
    just the low-res image shown larger, and (b) not a lot of use if (as
    suggested by the comment about brightness) you want to do this outside.

    David

    David Littlewood, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Bert Hyman

    [BnH] Guest

    Ah nice to know that.
    As now I am contemplating to choose between the FZ30 [Leica and OIS] or
    Fuji S9500 [nice colours] for my pocket cam.

    thx David.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Sep 17, 2005
  7. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In "David J Taylor"
    Neat; the manual focus ->looks like a winner if it really works. Now, if
    they'd just add a manual aperture ring and shutter-speed dial and a
    match-needle light meter :)

    The Panasonic line of cameras had completely escaped my notice; I have a
    Panasonic TV, A/V amp and DVD player, but a camera? That would take some
    mental adjustment.

    Bert Hyman, Sep 17, 2005
  8. I have no problem in focusing with my Canon S500, even with close-up
    pix. I set the dial to "manual", which turns off the automatic area
    focus mechanism, and turns on the simple center spot focusing. I then
    focus at the desired point by pressing the shutter release halfway down,
    and after aiming the camera, press further to activate the shutter. When
    the camera was on "automatic" with the multiple area focusing , I got
    many fuzzy shots.

    Morton

    Morton Linder, Sep 17, 2005
  9. Well, I know what you mean, but when buying two long zoom, image
    stabilised cameras recently, Panasonic came out top compared to Canon or
    Nikon. The FZ20 which my wife got has manual focus and a hot-shoe for
    flash with an f/2.8 Leica lens covering 36 - 432mm equivalent focal
    length, my own FZ5 is similar but a little smaller and lighter, without
    the manual focus and flash hot-shoe, and only f/3.3 at maximum zoom. The
    cameras are well built, and seem to stand up well in use (Cecilia's was
    used in the Antarctic). Image quality is excellent - better than the
    equivalent Canon cameras.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2005
  10. Bert Hyman

    Chris Luck Guest

    Chris Luck, Sep 17, 2005
  11. Bert Hyman

    Chris Luck Guest

    Chris Luck, Sep 17, 2005
  12. Thanks, Chris. Yes, I had the report a little time ago,, but they are
    continually updating it as new information becomes available. I also like
    to only state something if I am absolutely sure of it - better that people
    check for themselves in case my source was wrong.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2005