Creating ad-hoc wireless network with company laptop to home PC

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I apologise if this is really straightforwardm but I have no experience of
    wireless networks at all.

    I have a laptop from my office which has a built-in wireless adapter =. I
    cannot change the Domain of this laptop.

    Ony my home PC, I have a USB Wireless adapter. I also have a broadband
    connection.

    I want to be able to see files/printers and use my broadband connection on
    my home PC from my laptop.

    On the PC, there is a message saying that the network is connected, but I am
    unable to see anything (or use the broadband connection) of the home PC from
    the laptop.

    Could someone give me some pointers please?

    Pete

    Guest, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Hi
    As far as using a Wireless Laptop in various Network environments, read
    this.

    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip

    I can not help you with the Wireless Connection at home since it is Not
    clear what do you have that act as Wireless Source? Do you have a Wireless
    Router? Is the Wireless USB card is connected to a Wireless source?

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hack,

    No, I do not have a router at all. I simply have a Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
    in my home desktop PC. I have a wireless car in the laptop and so I am
    trying to create an ad-hoc wireless network with no router.

    The laptop syas that the connection has been established, but I can't see
    any of the shared files/folders and can't use the internet through the
    desktops broadband connection.

    Pete

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am having the same problem i have a pc and a laptop both running windows
    xp. The laptop has a toshiba wireless lan mini pci card. The pc has a belkin
    wireless G usb network adapter. Both have been installed with drivers. I have
    run network setup wizard on both and followed it through. I am able to plug
    in the usb wireless adapter and my laptop's wireless network connection will
    detect it and it says signal strength excellent. But i cant manage to view
    shared documents or access internet on laptop.

    PS i have a broadband modem connected to my desktop and i can surf the net

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Jack,

    I followed everything on that hyperlink, but the network still does not seem
    to work! I guess I really need a router, but that'll have to wait a while!

    Thanks anyway,

    Guest, Feb 19, 2006