Creating a web "Index Page"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I occassionally encounter web "index pages" like this one:

    http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/

    Can I get a similar listing of the files in a directory in the storage
    space I have with my ISP Comcast, or does that require special
    permissions or conditions established by the ISP. (Or maybe some
    permission placed on the directory by me?)

    I've tried accessing a directory which has no file named "index.html" in
    it, that's in my Comcast personal storage space, but that just brings up
    a Comcast error page.

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    schools"

    Jeff Wisnia, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Richard Guest

    That's generally done on the server level.
    If you have a hosted site, and have cpanel, you can set the permissions that
    way.
    You can ask comcast if they'll change the permission settings for your site,
    but I doubt they will.
    All it is, is a text listing of the contents of the folder.
    Similar to windows explorer.

    Richard, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Google for the file named .htaccess .

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 5, 2005