    Anonymoose Guest

    Using TimeWarner, Columbus (RR), how do I go about creating a newsgroup?
    Thanks.

    Anonymoose, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Anonymoose

    doS Guest

    alt.timewarner.sucks

    doS, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Search Google for "create new newsgroup" and read up. Once you finally
    come to the realization that it probably won't work, think about
    starting a Yahoo group.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    My 1st question was how to create a ng using RR/with RR/on RR servers and
    meant for other RR users whom possibly have been successful in having a ng
    created in the past. Instead I get smart remarks or how tos in creating ng's
    on other servers (Not implying you, mainly the 1st reply as your answer so
    far has been the most sensible). Pardon me tho, I guess I coulda been more
    specific when asking originally.

    Anonymoose, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Okay, no big deal. You so far do not understand how Usenet works. You
    can create a newsgroup on a server, but if the other news admins (who
    control all those other servers that aren't related to RR) don't
    especially see the need for your group, they don't add it.

    The trick to a successful newsgroup is to get all the admins you can
    imagine to think it would be a great idea to allow your group on their
    server. The odds are not good. Not good at all. Shit, the odds stink.

    To create the group, you need to send a special control message called a
    "newgroup" message. It would be better if you contacted your ISP's
    newsgroup admin and asked them to help.

    Again, the odds are not good. Not good at all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Anonymoose

    samuel Guest

    might want to learn how usenet works

    samuel, Jun 26, 2005
  8. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    Thanks. You're right, I'm not a newbie but I'm not totally familiar with
    usenet quite yet. I did wonder why I seen some ng's on my old isp that I
    frequented and they are not on RR. I thot all of usenet was somewhat of one
    big network. I dont plan on keeping RR forever, but I will see what I can do
    to get one started with them and see if its available on my next isp. If
    not, I'll prolly do yahoo or google or something that will 'always be there'
    no matter the isp. Thanks again for the info.

    Anonymoose, Jun 26, 2005
  9. Anonymoose

    Old Gringo Guest

    I am finding over 36,000 news groups on my server, thousands of which
    have no activity. Your chances of having an audience are better here
    than anywhere else in the world. :)

    Old Gringo, Jun 26, 2005
  10. Anonymoose

    samuel Guest

    easiest way to go for a group
    best wishes

    samuel, Jun 26, 2005
  11. Anonymoose wrote in
    Lordy, there's somewhere around 100,000+ newsgroups, more or less depending
    on how many your news provider actually carries, and you can't find one
    that fits?

    You must have some really *bizarre* tastes.

    Joseph Curwen, Jun 26, 2005
  12. Anonymoose

    Sunny Guest

    First, it's worth checking if the news group you want already exists
    and if it does ask your ISP newsadmin to include it on their server.
    The rules for creating new newsgroups in all
    other hierarchies except alt are particularly detailed, and
    can be found in regular postings in the newsgroup
    news.announce.newusers. You can also find much relevant information
    in the USENET FAQ repository at:
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html
    http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6882/ncreate.html

    Sunny, Jun 26, 2005
  13. Anonymoose

    Top Guest

    It would probably be easier to presuade RR to carry the NG you want
    or possibly find the NG on a free server and get it there.

    Top

    Top, Jun 26, 2005
  14. Anonymoose

    Mike Easter Guest

    You don't actually want to do that.

    Your provider provides news via a 'geographical' newsserver; eg yours
    is probably something like news-server.columbus.rr.com and there are
    similarly named and located geographic RR servers across the country.
    That newsserver provides access to locally specific newsgroups for local
    support, which are probably named something like
    roadrunner.columbus.help or .announce or .misc -- or at least that's
    the way it was when I was a RR subscriber for a different geographic
    area.

    Your local RR specific ng/s don't propagate beyond each specific
    geographic RR newsserver and RR doesn't invite input from its
    subscribers as to adding additional local Columbus OH RR ng/s. Your
    geographic newsserver also carries thousands of the newsgroups available
    to usenet at large, and in that sense is just one more newsserver among
    the thousands of newsservers which are individually managed at the
    general ISP provider level or the commercial NSP newsservice provider
    level.

    Typically when a provider adds a newsgroup to its newsservers, that
    newsgroup is a properly derived new newsgroup instead of rogue. There
    are many many properly derived and also improperly derived or created
    newsgroups. Too many, even tho' the new newsgroup proper creation
    process is elaborate as described in the link Blinky gave
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html Creating New
    Newsgroups

    Most people who ask about creating a newsgroup aren't really interested
    in doing that. They are actually interested in doing something else,
    they just haven't figured out what it is yet. Instead, they should
    start by stating what it is they are trying to do.

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2005
  15. Anonymoose

    uh Clem Guest

    With foot jammed firmly in mouth on Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:40:54 -0700,

    No doubt.
    Yet the rogue ng I created back in late 90's
    (alt.worms.out.of.a.hot.cheese-log) seems to exist on almost every
    newserver I check. Yet the one I recently created,
    (alt.politics.libertarian.free-state-project) which ain't quite so
    rogue ain't propagating like I'd like. Maybe it just takes time.

    uh Clem, Jun 26, 2005
  16. Anonymoose

    joevan Guest

    Really, then how or hoo is responsible for such ng garbage as
    alt.Karl- Marlden.nse etc etc. and similar goofy groups. I mean you
    should say just make up a really stupid sounding name and the admins
    would prolly love it. ie: alt.eeeeyowwww.pork-butts
    would prolly have a good chance with them judging from the names I
    have seen.
    LOL I had to go check if such existed before posting this.

    joevan, Jun 26, 2005
  17. Anonymoose

    Mike Easter Guest

    Propagation of rogue ng/s comes about because people ie
    customers/clients contact a news admin and ask for the group to be
    included. If a news admin adds the group to that newsserver then the
    potential for propagation increases.

    The 'orderly' way is that the control processes for newsgroup formation
    is followed, and news admins don't add groups which haven't followed
    that orderly process, and they do add groups which have.

    The disorderly 'freestyle' way is that whatever might happen with or
    without the control processes is or has been ignored by some news admins
    and a group is or has been added whether or not the control process is
    intact.

    What was happening about news admins adding newsgroups to their servers
    back in the late 90s is not the same as what is happening about news
    admins adding newsgroups to their servers in the mid 00s -- in many
    ways. And/But news admins typically retain old groups which haven't
    been properly controlled, or 'grandfather' them into continuation even
    if they aren't adding any more uncontrolled groups presently.

    There's a tendency for newsgroups to be added; there is less of a
    tendency for newsgroups to be removed or eliminated from a newsserver

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2005
  18. Anonymoose

    Mike Easter Guest

    If you are interested in reading the interesting and eventually quite
    adequate control message history for alt.fan.karl-malden.nose which go
    back to 1993, you should dl the .gz file
    ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/alt/alt.fan.karl-malden.nose.gz and
    de-gz it and read all of the 'control messages' [both bogus and real]
    thru' the years. It was rogue for a while, efforts to remove it were
    made, it became de-rogued thru' alt.config efforts.

    There are other karl malden nose groups which are in much worse shape
    rogue-wise than alt.fan.karl-malden.nose -- so the group you have chosen
    is a good example of the history of a rogue group which 'made it' as
    well as rogue groups which haven't.

    You can also read numerous discussions of the group by googling it up on
    the web - snurled googleup of websearch 725 hits http://snipurl.com/fub2

    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2005