CRAZY new problem I have never seen affecting 3750G and 2970G

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ccs, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. ccs

    ccs Guest

    Anyone ever hear of the SGMII Gigabit Ethernet interfaces on these? They are
    every other pair.

    So,

    SGMII == 3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20,23,24

    RGMII == The rest of the ports

    What is happening is, a LOT of desktop/server NIC's have issues connecting
    or staying connected to Cisco's SGMII interfaces. Cisco's solution? Blame
    the damn NIC and tell me to only use the RGMII ports. Pretty exensive 12
    port switch I must say! This is happing on Intel PRO1000 CT and MT, Via
    Rhine II 100Mbit, and Realtek 100Mbit NICs so far! Cisco briefly mentions
    this ONLY for one NIC and blames it on Intel in CSCea77032 . Why the hell
    are they selling a switch where half its ports are using a BARELY
    IMPLEMENTED new standard, without putting a big red freaking stamp on these
    ports? Instead, there is only an obscure mention in the release notes
    relating to one particular NIC. TAC tells me it's only Intel, when I have
    demonstrated other NIC's doing the same thing. The second I plug any of
    these into one of the RGMII ports, all is well. Cisco's "fix" of forcing
    speed/duplex has no effect! I am so freaking mad right now, I spent all day
    on this. Anyone else hear of this?

    ccs, Jul 30, 2004