crazy domains

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Reg, Jul 22, 2013.

  1. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Reg, Jul 22, 2013

  2. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest

    Probably not.

    However I hear from a very reliable source that DNS Management is NOT
    free - that is, you have to pay $24 for (to setup and point) A and C
    records!

    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013

  3. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest

    Just FYI...

    I sent an email to a mate, thinking, maybe he might know??? His
    reply...

    Subj: Do you know much about these people? - seems very cheap...

    Yes

    I bought a domain off them yesterday $15 - wellingtonquakelive.co.nz

    They are s<expletive deleted :)>!

    NO DNS Management tools (A, CNAME etc) unless you pay $24

    I just changed the NameServers to a different one (IServe) and managed
    to get around it that way. But there was issues with caching etc. Seems
    to be resolved now.

    After 5 days you can transfer to another company.

    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013
  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Thanks Dave.
    That is just what we need to know. I am sorting this out for a mate
    and have never had a .co.nz domain myself.
    He would not be put off by the dollars but any hassle he would not
    thank me for:)

    Reg, Jul 23, 2013
  5. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest

    I think it depends on what your mate's trying to do. However, it's
    quite typical to use a registrar that is NOT the host for the webserver
    or e-mail server - in which case, Crazy Domains doesn't look like a good
    choice. (ie one uses the Registrar to for the name registration service
    *only*, and you use their DNS management facility to point stuff to
    servers (web, mail, ftp, sub-domains etc etc).

    If the e-mail server is hosted internally (by your mate), then there is
    possibly (usually) little redundancy, then having a backup mail service
    is worth a look (if e-mail transmission is *vital* - ie 100% of the
    time). I use DNSMadeEasy's backup MX service for this...
    http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/backup-email/
    ($13 USD / year).

    And that in itself can have problems on some Domain Registrars - eg.
    even Freeparking's DNS management system does not allow that addition of
    the three extra MX records. However, it's just a matter of phoning 'em
    or asking them and they'll do that for you for nothing. No problems
    doing this yourself on GoDaddy (however they're not very cheap for .nz
    domains).

    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013
  6. Reg

    Reg Guest