Crashes on Startup: Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, May 9, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Bought this game months ago at DSE for my daughter......then we all got
    busy getting ready to shift house.

    We did try running it on Linux via TransGaming's "WineX".....as the
    previous two harry Potter games both run more or less perfectly on Linux
    that way. But this game didn't work....it seemed to have real trouble
    reading the CD.

    Then we shifted.....

    So though I bought the game months ago, we had not actually tried it on
    genuine Windows.

    We did today....and it has exactly the same problem it had on Linux -
    the CD drive(s - tried 3) can't make any sense of the copy-protection on
    the game CD.

    Every time you try to start it, it crashes out completely when the
    screen goes balck after the display of the splash bitmap.

    It's a known problem on the EA games web site.....

    So, if I have any advice to offer, it's either don't buy this game at
    all....or make damn sure you keep the receipts until you KNOW it works
    on your PC.

    I have seen very few games that would not run out of the box.....the
    last being "Outcast".....and they at least had a patch available you
    could download.

    No such luck here.

    steve, May 9, 2004

  2. steve

    Craig Sutton Guest

    I think in this situation you are perfectly entitled to hop onto say
    Bittorent or any p2p filesharing network and download a cracked copy.

    If the cd protection is the problem, have you tried a site like
    gamecopyworld and downloading a CD crack patch?

    Craig Sutton, May 9, 2004

  3. steve

    GraB Guest

    I wonder if the trick of holding Shift when you insert the CD would
    work if it is a problem with encryption. Apparently this works with
    encrypted music CDs.

    GraB, May 9, 2004
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Great suggestion. I'm sorry I didn't think of it. :)
    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 10, 2004