    and fix them, I'll just blow them all away and install Windows XP on
    substandard hardware that it will perform poorly on because I don't have a
    clue what I'm talking about.

    Jim Berwick, Aug 29, 2004

  2. beryl lee

    Thor Guest

    absolutely incorrect. You are confusing the old >64MB caching ability of
    some older Intel chipsets. This limitation caused quite a lot of
    misconceptions, and erroneous information about Windows, for which it had
    absolutely nothing to do with, as it was a hardware limitation, not a
    software limitation. In the case of the caching problem, the old Intel
    430VX, TX, and HX(some) chipsets had a limitation on how much RAM they could
    cache. They couldn't cache any memory above 64MB. In some cases, adding more
    memory than that could result in a performance hit in windows. BUT, if the
    applications being used were rather demanding on the memory, having more
    than 64MB was still better than having 64MB or less, because of the amount
    of disk swapping that would occur. Uncached memory is still better than
    swapfile use. The only limitation known to windows within it's designed
    memory handling capacity is a situation that arises when >512MB is present.
    In that case Vcache may consume too many addresses, and causes out-of-memory
    errors in some cases. The answer is to limit Vache settings to prevent that.
    Then it will happily use 512MB and much more. There is no 64MB limitation in
    Win95 or Win98.

    Thor, Aug 29, 2004

  3. beryl lee

    derek / nul Guest

    That would be above 512Mb and it can be got around.

    derek / nul, Aug 29, 2004
  4. beryl lee

    Freddie Guest

    Ken..Get back in you box..tosser