Crappy low light pictures - will any settings help?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ann, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Ann

    Ann Guest

    Hi all,
    Well I thought I did my research when I purchase the Sony F828,
    but since I got it home it takes the worst indoor pictures. I've tried
    many different settings, including talking to a Sony rep for almost 2
    hours. Nothing worked; I even exchanged the camera thinking just maybe
    there was something wrong. Note that I have no experience with these
    cameras, but I have a good understanding of this camera’s
    features now. Oh and I have an old Sony Mavica. So now I'm just trying
    to improve my grainy pictures. I don't want to use any flash (I know
    that's a problem), and my object is to print these pictures out. I was
    thinking about additional light, maybe an accessory, or adding more
    lighting to the room. There's also an inferred light accessory for the
    camera, but I think that would only work in very dark conditions. Also
    on the cameras LCD screen the "white hand" pops up on every picture as
    you try to use auto focus. Why?? My hands are not shaking, and my
    subjects not moving. About half the time the picture comes out blurry.
    My Mavica never did this. As you can tell I have no clue what my
    options are. Just wanted to take some nice family pictures. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Ann, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Ann

    Shaun Lowe Guest

    Your exposures are too long to handhold with any amount of
    steadiness. Get yourself a tripod & an external bounce flash
    head. Keep your iso low, the 828 is terribly noisy above
    iso100.

    Regards,

    Shaun Lowe

    http://www.pbase.com/shaun

    Shaun Lowe, Jun 9, 2004

  3. Ann

    Skip M Guest

    You may not realize how much your hands shake, your heartbeat will produce
    blurred images at very slow shutterspeeds. If you don't want to use a
    flash, use a tripod or monopod.

    Skip M, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Ann

    jriegle Guest

    If your pictures are coming out blurry and you are sure it is focussed, then
    something is moving and it is probably you. Try setting it on table or
    tripod to test.

    If grain is an issue, set it to the lowest ISO mode for less noise.

    If you shoot a lot in low light (available light), you really should
    consider an dSLR. They can handle low light so much better than the cameras
    with the small sensors.
    John

    jriegle, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Does the image quality in this gallery look familiar to you?

    http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717_sd9_s602z

    Your answer should be obvious. The SD9 costs less even with a great
    professional flash (Sigma DG Super) and super lens (Sigma 24-70 HF).

    George Preddy, Jun 10, 2004
  6. Ann

    tekfull Guest

    Where are your pics gp

    tekfull, Jun 10, 2004
  7. Ann

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    The 717 and S602Z JPEG images are, on the average, compressed 12x as
    much as the Sigma pictures. Another failed attempt at deception from
    GP/SG.

    JPS, Jun 11, 2004