CPU Price War cuts really hitting NZ now...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. I wonder when the lower prices will filter through to the second hand
    939 market (if at all?).

    Jason Clinton, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Nova Guest

    Yeah same boat as me.. makes the upgrade a bit more pricey... I'll have
    to take the leap to pci-e someday... but the old 6600gt is still doing
    teh trick for most of the games i play so i'll hold out a little longer
    I think.

    Nova, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm looking forward to when there is a glut of cheap second-hand AGP cards
    on Trademe. :)

    Or someone selling anything significantly better than a ti4200 for a
    not-unreasonable sum could contact me at misfitnz/gmail. I'd rather buy from
    someone I "know".

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Daniel

    thingy Guest

    My second game machine has a 4200Ti....it still runs very
    well....looking at the budget new cards, it still stands up good enough
    against them to mean I would have to spend $300+ to get something
    noticably faster...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 27, 2006
  5. Daniel

    thingy Guest

    Exact same boat....mines a 6600GT as well....at $143 with 3 pci slots +a
    939 socket 2 core 4800+ plus 1 gig of ram I can swap my good bits over
    and get a sh*te hot box for way less than $1000....disks a little slow,
    but a 300gig sata can be got later....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Daniel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, I like my ti4200 too. However, I'm hoping to find someone with an AGP
    6600gt or similar who is upgrading to PCI-E and has no further use for the
    6600. The ti will definitely go into machine #2, it's a good card.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Daniel

    MaHogany Guest

    Surely if you want a hot box you'd be wanting to buy Intel P4s. ;o)

    They didn't get the reputation for being heaters for no reason.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Jul 27, 2006
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Funny you should say that. Looks like the odd seller has been left high
    and dry with the cuts and are trying to hock them off hoping nobody uses
    PriceSpy.
    Auction #64390516 - 939 A64 X2 4200 - *$750*
    " #64488832 - 939 FX-53 - *$700* (A64 4000 is same spec CPU)
    " #64116101 - 939 A64 X2 3800 - *$620*
    " #64463869 - 939 A64 X2 4400 - *$750*

    And on it goes.

    One guy appears to be basically lying through his teeth with comments
    like:- "This cpu is normally worth <insert pre-50% price-cut price>"
    (see auction #6471620, and check his other listings).

    Daniel, Jul 27, 2006
  9. That, too, is relative. At least Intel offer open-source drivers, which is
    more than AMD or NVidia are prepared to do.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 28, 2006
  10. Daniel

    MaHogany Guest

    Who needs a "driver" to use a CPU???

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Jul 29, 2006
  11. Daniel

    Murray Symon Guest

    Everybody does - they're part of the OS kernel.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Jul 29, 2006
  12. Daniel

    MaHogany Guest

    Kinda like saying you need wheels in order to use a car don't you think?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Jul 29, 2006
  13. Daniel

    Murray Symon Guest

    You asked the question.

    Murray Symon, Jul 29, 2006
  14. Daniel

    jasen Guest

    Intel also make other hardware. eg video cards (this thread)
    and network cards (I use their open source EEPRO driver for the card in
    my spare PC. apparently it's sligtly better than the free one)

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jul 29, 2006
  15. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Have to say that I've been somewhat disappointed with Intel's response.

    Price-performance wise, AMD looks a winner hands down.

    Unless Intel make those Netburst prices considerably more attractive, I
    think their inventory surplus problem will simply get worse. They knew
    there was always going to be collateral damage with the arrival of
    Conroe, but, AMD's aggressive price-cuts are very hard to ignore.

    Daniel, Jul 31, 2006
  16. Daniel

    NilEinne Guest

    Er... AMD don't make integrated graphics chipsets (technically when
    they acquire ATI they will but since they haven't yet, it's kind of
    irrelevant), so AMD has nothing to do with it. AMD can't open-source
    Nvidia drivers. They could in theory apply pressure to Nvidia to open
    source their drivers but that kind of on a tangent (and AMD isn't in
    that strong a position)

    In any case, you could say the reason Intel open source their
    integrated graphics drivers is because they have nothing of value to
    protect. Who'd want to clone Intel's graphics? :p

    NilEinne, Aug 18, 2006