    Please Help!!

    Thanks

    Dan

    dan.nuttall, Jun 15, 2006

  2. dan.nuttall

    Meat Plow Guest

    Should only run fast for maybe 5 seconds. Has it done this from being a
    brand ne PC?
    May or may not be. Take some canned air and blow out the CPU fan and heat
    sink.

    Meat Plow, Jun 15, 2006

  3. dan.nuttall

    Dirk Guest

    Unfold a paper clip, and stick one end in the back of the fan, if it
    stops the fan from rotating then your power supply is gone and you need
    to buy a new one.

    Dirk, Jun 15, 2006
  4. dan.nuttall

    nutman Guest

    No, i've had it for a couple of years now probably. its been happening
    for a few months, and it runs fast for about 5 mins, not secs.

    nutman, Jun 15, 2006
  5. dan.nuttall

    nutman Guest

    I had to replace the power supply a couple of months ago because that
    had stopped working. i could tell just by looking at the fan and seeing
    it wasnt moving. also the computer was getting very hot, you could tell
    by just feeling the top of the case. so i can say with certainty that
    it isnt the power supply causing the problem.

    nutman, Jun 15, 2006
  6. Wouldn't a multimeter be a tad more accurate in testing the power supply?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 15, 2006
  7. dan.nuttall

    Meat Plow Guest

    You sure it's running fast and not just making noise? Have a look and make
    sure it keeps spinning after it quiets down. If not it could cause a
    freeze.

    Meat Plow, Jun 15, 2006
  8. dan.nuttall

    Jim Guest

    Yeah.....I have tons of multi meters laying around

    Jim, Jun 15, 2006
  9. dan.nuttall

    Respondant Guest

    Good. You'll probably need one when the fan rips the paper clip out of your
    hand and sends it fluttering about inside the case.

    Seriously, that has to be some of the worst advice ever.

    Respondant, Jun 15, 2006
  10. dan.nuttall

    Dirk Guest

    its a proven technique ass hole

    Dirk, Jun 15, 2006
  11. dan.nuttall

    Meat Plow Guest

    Post a URL or two referencing it.

    Meat Plow, Jun 15, 2006
  12. dan.nuttall

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Dirk spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself
    You be better off taking some cutters and cut away any metal that's in the
    way, and sousing your penis into the fan. The metal paper clip may cause the
    fan to start wobbling if it tests out ok.

    --
    Mhzjunkie

    1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END

    Mhzjunkie, Jun 15, 2006
  13. dan.nuttall

    Respondant Guest

    What's a "proven technique ass hole"?

    Nevermind. I get it now. I'm an asshole, and sticking a metal object (even
    if it is plastic-coated) into a rapidly rotating fan connected to a delicate
    electrical device is your "proven technique" for determining the condition
    of a power supply, right?

    What happens if the fan rips it from between your fingers, or it slips out
    of your grasp and goes flying around inside the case? Who's the asshole
    then?

    Respondant, Jun 15, 2006
  14. Unfold a paper clip, and stick one end in the back of the fan, if it
    Oh crap. All my fans will stop if I stick paper clips in them. Does
    that mean the transformer outside my house is gone too?

    David Matthew Wood, Jun 20, 2006
  15. dan.nuttall

    Whiskers Guest

    If you stick enough paper-clips into enough orifices, then quite possibly
    yes ;))

    Whiskers, Jun 20, 2006