cpu @ 100% spoolsv.exe (running out of options)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by IMT, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. IMT

    IMT Guest

    hi

    I am having problems with CPU usage being at 100% with the spoolsv.exe
    It is effecting all other processes on the computer.

    i have tried printing directly to printer
    tried reinstalling driver
    trying to upgrade from SP1 to SP1.a

    If the upgrade does not work do people have any suggestions on how to
    solve this problem as i have run out of options

    any advice would gratley recived

    cheers

    Dan

    IMT

    IMT, Jan 28, 2004

  2. IMT

    Joe Guest

    Check with the printer manufacturer to see if there is an updated driver.

    Joe, Jan 28, 2004

  3. IMT

    IMT Guest

    Hi i haved worked the problem....the computer had a shared printe
    installed as well ads another printer the second printer was gettin
    sent jobs and they were getting jammed (not paper jammed....syste
    jammed). This was creating a loop so the CPU was @100% trying to ge
    the prints to work. remove all printers and it will work. and th
    Spoolsv.exe will return to normal

    IM

    IMT, Jan 30, 2004
  4. SP1a , XP huh ???

    How about you re run the system file checker
    sfc /scannow

    I think

    Make sure you have the ORIGINAL media available

    This will replace any broken files and hopefully get you out of
    bother.

    Alternatively, SP2 for xp is out on beta and if you have acess to msdn
    you can down load, this may do a better job.

    ================================
    We require rigidly defined areas
    of doubt and uncertainty!
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================

    Marlin Munrow (The PFY), Jan 30, 2004
  5. IMT

    Nomisk Guest

    I also have this problem. I have two new machines running Win XP SP
    and linked with a third machine on a local network. I installed a H
    laserjet 2200 as a local printer on one particuler machine but enable
    share on it for other users and added an HP officejet G85 as a networ
    printer as it was installed on the other XP machine. Since that tim
    Spoolsv.exe starts on bootup on the one machine that had the HP 220
    installed on it despite setting it to manual and keeps restarting ever
    few minutes and slows the whole machine down to a crawl. If
    stop/disable the service I can't see any of the printers or add/remov
    printers. I have taken off all the printers and taken the machine of
    the network but it is still running spoolsv and using all the syste
    resources. I have the current drivers for both printers and they wer
    installed with those but my problem now is how do I stop th
    spoolsv.exe from clogging up my system. I have tried system restore t
    a restore point three days ago before the problem occurred and befor
    the printers were installed but the problem still exists. This reall
    is driving me nuts. I am aware the RPC uses the service but I hav
    nothing I know of that would be actively calling for this. I have
    broadband connection and adsl USB modem on the machine but I trie
    removing that and it made no difference. Can anyone rescue me

    Nomis

    Nomisk, Feb 12, 2004
  6. IMT

    pjiv Guest

    I also have noticed this as of late. I have tracked it down t
    Symantec's Norton Antivirus, after it's automated scanning it doe
    something and the spoolsv.exe pegs out the CPU. Symantec has n
    information on this in their knowledgebase.

    -
    pji

    pjiv, Jul 3, 2004