    Really getting quite tired of it all. Do you have nothing better to do
    than trawl the net for sites bashing others peoples OS of choice? Get a
    life!

    El Chippy, Jun 9, 2007

  2. El Chippy

    Gordon Guest

    Then go to sleep, if you are tired.

    It is not MS bashing, hell not even spin, but rather a view point of the
    poster.

    We do live in a democracy.

    Thanks for your view point.

    Gordon, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 9, 2007
  4. El Chippy

    Peter Guest

    “It's important for everyone to understand that there is a real problem with
    Linux patents and that there is a need for a solution,†said Horacio
    Gutierrez, Microsoft vice president for intellectual property and
    licensing.

    The real problem is that MS hasn't been able to identify even one example of
    where Linux is using MS's code or patents. Looks like MS is making
    derogatory accusations that they can't substantiate.

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 9, 2007
  5. El Chippy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    So you respond to someone's reasonable request to stop spamming the
    group with anti-MS/Linux posts by attacking Microsoft again? What a
    loser.

    Oh, and for the record, there's no way in hell that the OSS world,
    whom simply clone successful commercial software, haven't breached a
    multitude of other company's IP. The only reason not much has been
    done is because of the negative publicity, but as the theft keeps
    increasing, you've got to expect companies like MS to respond.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 9, 2007
  6. El Chippy

    peterwn Guest

    And who was it, who apparently retrieved old source code listings from a
    dumpster and made use of them. Even if it was not a breach of
    copyright, it would still be cloning. It was .... Bill Gates!

    peterwn, Jun 9, 2007
  7. El Chippy

    Peter Guest

    What negative publicity?
    Surely, it there is theft going on, it would be appropriate to point it out.
    Particularly as the Linux developers have said there is nothing wrong with
    their code, and if anything is amiss, they have vowed to remove it.

    If publicity was the issue, MS could just tell the Linux developers (not the
    media) of the offending code. Instead, MS has loudly proclaimed
    infringement of their patents, but refused to give any details that would
    enable verification of their claims, or any remedial action.

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Actually, I fully expected M$ to start sabre-rattling in the way it has
    done.

    M4 has been repeatedly and publically asked to state with specificity what
    exact patent/copyright is being allegedly infringed, which piece of OSS
    was allegedly infringing, and which person/organisation wrote the
    allegedly infringing code, and which exact piece of code is allegedly
    infringing.

    To date M$ has refused to answer those questions. M$ has even cancelled
    it's attendance at public forums where it knew in advance that it would be
    asked questions about which patents were infringing.

    when the allegant repeatedly refuses to precisely state what exactly is
    being infringed so that people can correct any alleged infringement the
    only logical conclusion is that there is no infringement.

    Jonathan Walker, Jun 9, 2007
  9. To quote the Blondini Brothers: "You're getting paranoid again".

    Mark Robinson, Jun 9, 2007
  10. El Chippy

    Shane Guest

    Does the guy have any clue at all?

    Shane, Jun 9, 2007
  11. El Chippy

    thingy Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    8><--------
    Not true and there are numerous examples. A classic example would be
    Google, now that is a company that innovates, MS tends to either buyout
    an idea, or settle the subsequent court case....

    successful commercial software, haven't breached a
    There is no such legal term as IP, please be specific, patents? copyright?

    Show us the money, otherwise you are simply lying.........

    I think the failure (impending) of SCO's case pretty much shows Linux is
    copyright clean....After the "deep diving" even if SCO could not have
    found copyright infringement they had a claim to, they should have
    turned up something of someone else's, and I bet they'd sing that one
    from the tree tops....and they have not.

    The only reason not much has been
    Your missing some fundamental logic,

    Given the [bm]illions MS has paid out this year alone for patent
    infringement that is laughable....why?

    Because if IP houses are happy to ping MS for serious money, do you
    really think they would not ping Linux? The server deployment is worth
    Billions per annum, the IP houses could hit IBM/HP/RH/end user for
    decent sums and because they do not produce anything (hence their own
    risk of a counter-suit negating their profits) they should be going for
    it, big time.

    And the number of suits are?

    zero.

    a big fat zero.

    let me repeat that; zero, none, nada.....

    On the other hand I can see someone soon going for a declaratory
    judgment against MS to get them to put up or shut up....I'd expect it
    this year....probably a smaller linux player or FSF, someone with no
    risk of patent counter-sue....otherwise the rest are looking at a MAD
    scenario...

    Then there is the recent US Supreme court's decision on patents, they
    must be non-obvious and substantive....so MS and indeed anyone else has
    a huge battle on its hands, they have to actually have something, it has
    to have no prior art, be substantial and non-obvious.....

    I also suspect that not immediately negotiating/sueing when you find
    someone has infringed your patent will mean it is hard to get
    substantial damages if any if you do eventually....so knowingly sitting
    on a patent for 2 to 3 years and doing nothing pretty much shoots
    yourself in the foot.

    Maybe instead of believing MS's FUD you grow up and take your blinkers off.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 10, 2007
  12. El Chippy

    thingy Guest

    Nope.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 10, 2007
  13. ... ah the old "proof by repetition'. Not designed to prove anything or as
    data or even argument. Just to make those that don't know better feel
    'uncomfortable' when the words are mentioned. Obviously part of the
    marketing department, not the technical or legal ones. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 11, 2007
  14. I also suspect that not immediately negotiating/sueing when you find
    someone has infringed your patent will mean it is hard to get
    substantial damages if any if you do eventually....so knowingly sitting
    on a patent for 2 to 3 years and doing nothing pretty much shoots
    yourself in the foot.[/QUOTE]

    Yep. There's no surer way to lose a patent than not to enforce it. All a
    patent is is the right to do exactly that. If you choose not to, then you
    could be said to have surrendered those rights.
    Time frame ? ... well I'd suggest a couple of years should be more than
    sufficient ... but IANAL :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 11, 2007
  15. El Chippy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Oink, Oink. Gotta attack the messenger because you know the message is
    true, I see. Loser.

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2007
  16. El Chippy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    I should have phrased that differently. I'm not in the slightest
    intending to imply that ALL OSS work is simply a clone of commercially
    produced software, but I would say that the majority is.
    Look it up.
    I don't lie, and that's a silly and juvenile comment. Two people can
    have opposing views without one of them "lying".
    What's SCO got to do with it?
    I'm not saying MS haven't been stung by patent offices. However that
    is really irrelevant to whether their or other's IP has been
    infringed.
    There's more money in suing MS. There's no $$ in the Linux community,
    nad the way that OSS develops makes it very hard to sue, which is why
    they've got away with it for so long.

    For instance, if Evolution breaches copyrights held by MS, who do they
    sue?

    Fred Dagg, Jun 11, 2007