    photography?

    Any ideas, suggestions welcomed.
    Donk

    Donkey, Oct 12, 2005

  2. A good macro lens for a DSLR will cost almost that much.
    The cheapest macro Nikkor for the a Nikon DSLR is 389.95.
    Then the cheapest D50 Nikon body is 649.95.

    Here's a quick overview of macro photography.

    http://www.photo.net/learn/macro/

    *************************************
    A man said to the universe:
    "Sir, I exist!"
    "However" replied the universe,
    "The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."
    Stephen Crane

    John A. Stovall, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Donkey

    GTO Guest

    There is no cheap solution for good close-up photography. Photomacrography
    gets additionally expensive. You need to understand the resolution
    requirements you have at a given photographic reproduction ratio. You can
    achieve a high magnification with rather inexpensive equipment (below $500).
    But rather often the resolution is poor and if you require large prints you
    will notice a significant difference between a low-cost and an expensive
    setup. But if you mainly generate JPEG images for web publication, a
    low-cost setup could be justifiable.

    I started to setup some material into a folder on my pBase account about
    this topic. You can find it at http://www.pbase.com/overney/technologies.
    Mostly, I am using the Nikon 105mm f2.8D lens. It's sharp and a real bargain
    for good quality work.

    The newly published article by Brian could also be helpful. See
    http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artoct05/bjmacro.html

    In the past, I used a Coolpix 990 with a close-up lens. Not too bad. But it
    does not at all compare with a Micro-Nikkor lens.

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Donkey

    Bob Williams Guest

    Before you start spending big bucks to get better pictures of your
    watches, try scanning them on your plain vanilla flatbed scanner (not a
    Canon LIDE type) at around 600 dpi.
    The image quality will blow you away.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Donkey

    editor Guest

    Look for a Sony DSC-D770 on eBay. Prices now are low. 28-140
    (equiv.) zoom lens with convenient manual focus and quasi-SLR
    viewfinder. I use one to do close-up photos of eBay stuff.

    No $4 to park! No $6 admission!
    http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

    editor, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Donkey

    none Guest

    I don't think this will work: the scanner light will reflect off the
    crystal and any polished metal.

    -Mike

    none, Oct 15, 2005