    picture. Camera used was a Canon EOS 400D lens Sigma 18-200 DC

    Thanks
    Eugene

    Eugene, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    Eugene, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Eugene wrote
    A tripod would have made a good start.

    The higher ISO and shutter speeds on the newest
    digital cameras offer only a partial exemption to
    basic photographic technique. If you're going into
    low light stuff then even these days you must first
    pack a tripod.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Jan 16, 2007
  4. Eugene

    JimKramer Guest

    1) Make sure the towers are vertical.
    2) Make the camera as stable as possible - Heavier tripod, timer or
    remote release, mirror lock up; the squiggles in the lights are
    probably from you pushing the shutter release.
    3) You will find ISO 400 is as good as ISO 100 for noise and Higher
    ISO's are not that bad.
    4) F/8 to F/11 would (without the motion blur) give a sharper image.

    Personally, and this is my opinion and not about technique, I think
    that the image is over-exposed; the sky is not dark enough for my
    taste.

    Keep shooting and play with the camera settings, best way to "learn" is
    to "do."

    Jim

    JimKramer, Jan 16, 2007
  5. Eugene

    Mardon Guest

    He must have used a tripod. You can't hold an 8 sec exposure that still
    without one. I agree with Jim Kramer's comments. Shoot a higher ISO to
    make the exposure shorter, use a remote release or timer for the shutter,
    plus mirror lockup and perhaps a heavier tripod, depending on what was used
    for this shot. I agree that the shot is a bit overexposed for my taste. I
    think a darker sky with only a silhouette of the buildings in front would
    be better.

    Keep at it. Practice makes perfect! :)

    Mardon, Jan 16, 2007
  6. JimKramer wrote
    Agreed

    And learn how to use the histogram, if your camera
    has that feature.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Jan 16, 2007
  7. Eugene

    Cgiorgio Guest

    To avoid the blown highlights you could shoot in RAW which preserves a
    higher colour resolution, underexpose by -1.5 to 2 EV and then use the gamma
    curve tool to "develop" the picture in your raw conversion or image editor
    program.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 16, 2007
  8. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    1) Make sure the towers are vertical.
    2) Make the camera as stable as possible - Heavier tripod, timer or
    remote release, mirror lock up; the squiggles in the lights are
    probably from you pushing the shutter release.
    3) You will find ISO 400 is as good as ISO 100 for noise and Higher
    ISO's are not that bad.
    4) F/8 to F/11 would (without the motion blur) give a sharper image.

    Personally, and this is my opinion and not about technique, I think
    that the image is over-exposed; the sky is not dark enough for my taste.

    Keep shooting and play with the camera settings, best way to "learn" is to
    "do."

    Thanks for all your comments. A tripod or sorts was used one of those cheapo
    Hama mini ones. I had just come from a party and that was the view from the
    hotel window, Carrying a full sized tripod around wasn't a option. Are there
    any half way decent mini ones that will fit into a camera bag ? The light
    blur was most definitely caused by me pushing the shutter button., I will
    have to invest in one of those canon ir remote thingies. I'll experiment
    with the setting you sugest.

    Thank again
    Eugene

    Eugene, Jan 16, 2007
  9. Thanks for all your comments. A tripod or sorts was used one of those cheapo
    For a static shot like this one, you can use the camera's self timer and
    mirror lockup to ensure the camera is perfectly still at exposure time.
    You can make a flimsy tripod a lot steadier by attaching a weight to it:
    I have a small net bag with a hook on it in my kit; I put a large stone
    or something in the bag and hang it off the underside of the tripod.
    This damps small vibrations down to just about nothing. Another approach
    is a little beanbag to put the camera on.

    Derek Fountain, Jan 16, 2007
  10. Eugene

    AustinMN Guest

    By any chance, did you shoot through the hotel window *glass*? Windows
    are far from optically ideal, and not something I would shoot through
    unless there was no other choice (can't open window, can't shoot from
    balcony, only place to get the shot, etc.).

    I've heard only one thing about composition (get the tower vertical),
    so I'll take a stab at that. I think this could be a rather humorous
    shot. Try cropping out the construction craines on the right, and the
    windows below the closest antenna. Now imagine all the antennas,
    pointing in the same general direction, are paying homage to the
    tower...

    Austin

    AustinMN, Jan 16, 2007
  11. Eugene

    m.aljamri79 Guest

    Eugene ÃÑÓáÊ:

    m.aljamri79, Jan 16, 2007
  12. Eugene

    J. Clarke Guest

    Note the degree of camera movement reflected by the paths trailing from
    the brighter lights.

    If he used a tripod then he did something to move the camera a consierable
    amount while the shutter was open.

    J. Clarke, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Eugene

    ray Guest

    Look at your timer settings - my Kodak P850 has two - one is two seconds -
    for just such occassions. If you shoot in 'raw' format you'll have a
    little more latitude to fradiddle the image in the computer - IMHO - it's
    too dark - there is almost no detail on the buildings - if you could bring
    out a little detail there without overexposing the sky I'd like it better.

    ray, Jan 16, 2007
  14. Eugene

    ray Guest

    I've been looking for some info on what to do with the histogram - do you
    have any good references?

    ray, Jan 16, 2007
  15. Eugene

    Bill Funk Guest

    Probably Eugene used the shutter release button.
    I find the self-timer to be a great solution for this.
    --
    Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
    the Golden Globes Monday to

    Bill Funk, Jan 16, 2007
  16. Eugene

    Phil Guest

    Phil, Jan 16, 2007
  17. Hi Eugene,
    For the shutter button you can set the camera to use a timer. Then it will
    fire after 10 seconds. Works fine for this type of photos where the subject
    is very static<g> I have both the remote and the cable triggers and I use
    the cable trigger a lot even when handholding.

    I have a mini tripod that I bought at Wolf Camera, it's about 40cm (1') tall
    when extended. It is barely big enough to hold my 350D with 70-300mm (Canon
    II USM) lens fully extended without the camera starting to sag<g> but it
    helps a lot in tight spots. It takes very little room when it's fully
    collapsed, the legs are 3 sections that slide into each other.

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Jan 17, 2007
  18. Eugene

    Mark² Guest

    Yes.
    Tripod, cable-release, mirror lock-up, and smaller aperture.

    The tripod/mirror lock-up/cable-release will eliminate nearly al motion
    blur, and and smaller aperture (f8 or 11 for example) will get you a sharper
    image on nearly any lens.

    Mark², Jan 17, 2007