    going to die notification and duly got it fixed on the warranty. Everything
    was nice, now it seems to be repeating the problem. Could there be a problem
    with some other piece of the hardware?

    Chris, May 3, 2004

  2. Chris

    SgtMinor Guest

    All things being equal, more memory means less HD activity. Does this
    machine have at least 512 megs of RAM?

    SgtMinor, May 3, 2004

  3. The only things I can think of is internal cooling in the
    laptop and excessive vibration/g forces. If you haven't been
    running the laptop whilst bouncing across ploughed fields
    and shock loading it to death, you may have been overheating
    it. I have seen fan intakes full of fluff (in one case, full
    of strawberry jam..). I have also seen one laptop with a
    heat transfer plate missing - having never been installed.
    (Not that I would have realised if I hadn't remembered the
    layout from another machine). Once the drive does get too
    hot it does need to recalibrate often and this can appear to
    be a lot of disk activity.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 3, 2004