    Not usually .
    so 20% that's quite a bit and I'd sdaying paying 20% more for a higher speed processor would get most workm done quicker rather than spending the money on a small SSD.

    So still no real result of just how much faster a person can get the work done via a SSD as aposed to a HDD.

    Whisky-dave, Dec 13, 2012

  2. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I don't agree with that, it just doesn;t make sense, the fatser parts of a computer is the Graphics RAM get a better grpahics card.
    Of course identifying these 'interuptions'in the key, for me the biggest 'interuption' is uploading to a site or printing SSDs will do little to speed up either process.

    Don;t thiunk I'm old enough to but i do remmeber having to phome a compony up to get the applos serviced and as the contract was 1000s per year we got rid of them about 1 moht later this was early 80s.
    I assume the slowness was down to processor speed rather than disc access.

    yes true and the processes were speeded up primarlity from faster processors, not with new faster discs.

    Have you compared this test using a HDD & SSD
    You might be better off speed wise with a Mac and photoshop perhaps it's paintshop pro is the problem.

    I aslo believe that if spending an extra 100 or more on a SSD the buyer would be better off putting that money to a better or faster prcessor.
    Never used it and it's the firsts I've heard of it.
    Is it better than other products ?
    Better than aperature which is 1/3rd of the price, or iphoto which is free,
    or any of teh other products about ?

    I've pretty much got that.

    And it's where I think it will be least effective.

    My biggest bottle neck would be printer I dont; see how a SSD will significanly speed up printing.

    Whisky-dave, Dec 14, 2012

  3. RichA

    DanP Guest

    10 years ago I was using a CAD/CAM system so well I was thinking what to do and my fingers just touched the right keys to do it.

    Six years ago I have switched to another program, I hated it, I had thought the sequence of actions but because the interface wasn't that great by the time I pressed the icons and dialogues I had forgotten what I had to do and had to go thought it again.

    Well, for some that instant feeling matters.

    DanP

    DanP, Dec 15, 2012
  4. More CPU cycles == better compression
    More CPU cycles == better decompression at life speed
    Internet connections getting faster (what speed did you have
    10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago)

    Means that the 50GB today is much less of a problem tomorrow.

    JFTR: 50GB: less than 3 hours download here. And it'd probably
    be streamed anyway. I could get 3x the speed and 2x the upload
    speed I have for 15 EUR/month more. (Though I'd need gigabyte
    ethernet to handle that.)

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 24, 2012
  5. That depends.
    Again, that depends. If you do many small reads and writes,
    SSDs (with TRIM(!)) rock, they are usually several orders of
    magnitude faster (due to near-zero seek time). For large reads,
    they're only 2-6 times faster than an ordinary up-to-date
    hard drive. For large writes, it depends on the HD and SSD you
    compare, and with the SSD, how much erase blocks are currently
    free ...
    That's not the point of an SSD, and you know it.
    Naah. Compiling is CPU-bound.
    Try mass changing parameters for a couple thousand RAWs ---
    which means touching a couple thousand RAW files or their
    sidecar files to record the settings.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 24, 2012