Could converting blogs to USEnet work?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by no.top.post, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. no.top.post

    no.top.post Guest

    We all know how blogs have degenerated USEnet,
    mainly by the absurdity that you need to d/l the whole thread
    to see *IF* there's a reply to your comment/query.

    Which results in few multi-stage dialogs.
    So the result is that 'contributors' all rush to have their
    once-off shout. And it's degenerated to a Friday night
    bar-shout.

    Isn't it also problematic to 'hold' 8 blogs open on your
    'browser' at the same time as using it for other http-fetches ?

    What would happen if 10 blogs which were likely to be read
    by a cluster of inetters, were 'harvested' and NNTP-served.

    Let's consider the NNTP fields:
    From=ok; Date=ok; Subject=ok; ... seems ok.

    The threading would initially be weak/lacking because
    the bloggers normally find it difficult to put that info in
    their message; but as they became aware of threading
    capabilities they would use it.

    Probably the biggest problem would be legally, from
    the owner of the harvested blogs?

    Personally, I never use a full 'browser' for blog-reading.
    `lynx` gets me the text, without that crap-in-ya-face.

    I've never used RSS. Perhaps that already fixes the problems?

    What do you think?

    == TIA.

    no.top.post, Jan 21, 2012

  2. That's why people use RSS aggregators.
    The limited RSS->NNTP gateway in
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2006/newstools.html is designed with LJ's
    RSS in mind, but should be readily adaptable to anyone else's.

    Richard Kettlewell, Jan 21, 2012

  3. What would happen if 10 blogs which were likely to be read
    I think gwene.org is a possible answer.

    Stefan

    Stefan Monnier, Jan 22, 2012