    workspace. I know it's best for the web and for printing at the lab
    I'm using. I don't even believe that my monitor can take advantage of
    Adobe RGB.

    Vadim, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Vadim

    KBob Guest

    Costco, Sams and others using Frontier machines expect images to be
    converted to sRGB to print correctly. If you give them Adobe RGB
    you'll get back flat-looking prints. If you want to profile these
    printers you could try giving them a test image from ColorVision
    Profiler Plus and create yourself a custom ICC from that. I've tried
    this and it seems to work, but for the most part, I get acceptable
    results by simply converting to sRGB. I would assume these
    Frontier/Noritsu printers use this limited colorspace because nearly
    all the small digicams use this (and some of the bigger ones as well).
    I'm still looking for the secret for how to get bright reds out of
    these machines--my Macbeth target looks fine except for the pure red,
    it's quite a bit darker on the Frontier prints.

    KBob, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Vadim

    mark_digital Guest

    When you view an image in Photoshop using sRGB "monitor compensation" ticked
    or not ticked doesn't alter the screen's image. Where people get themselves
    into trouble is when they view their images using other profiles that will
    be different when compensation is ticked or not ticked. You expect the image
    to be a certain way to your likeing but when it's returned to you printed
    you're dumbfounded. Maybe the image is OK but not what you expected. What
    can compound this problem certainly is when your screen and your own printer
    appear to be fine. You know it took some time to get to this point. We're
    relunctant to change things, but we must.
    My best advice to you is only send a few prints in at a time until you can
    get a satisfying match, and remain calm about the whole thing because the
    digital concept is meant to be to make it easier to do so. In other words,
    not all is loss.
    Mark

    mark_digital, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Vadim

    Pete Rissler Guest

    When using the custom profile make sure you tell the Lab to turn off all
    color adjustments. You'll also need a calibrated monitor to get good
    results. I've taken both sRGB files and Drycreek Profile converted files to
    a Frontier Lab (WalMart) and gotten better results with the Dry Creek
    Profile.

    Pete Rissler, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Vadim

    KBob Guest

    I was told that the Drycreek profiles don't work anymore, since the
    machines just expect sRGB images. They also said they did no color
    adjustments or corrections in any case, pretty much a "hands off"
    operation with these. A couple months ago I tried converting a few
    prints to a Drycreek profile for the Costco nearby, and the prints
    came back with black areas appearing dark brown, and drab colors.
    Images submitted in Adobe RGB will be decidedly flat (compressed
    colors).

    If you're lucky enough to have a Sam's or Costco nearby, it pays to
    submit a number of test prints and experiment a little until finding
    an ideal profile. I have found them to be quite consistent in any
    case, with colors having essentially identical hues & densities from
    batch to batch when measured with a color densitometer--I always
    include a Macbeth test chart image for comparison.

    Let us know how your future experiences with Costco's printing.

    KBob, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Vadim

    Mike Anselmo Guest

    Guys,
    I am a novice and am missing something here. My camera (Sony 717) puts
    out sRGB as seen in the EXIF file. When I mod a picture in Adobe Elements, I
    lose the EXIF info. I expect that. By going to PRINT PREVIEW on the modded
    picture and selecting 'color management' I see the source is untagged RGB.
    The EXIF info is gone as I have come to expect. I then select the sRGB
    profile and I should be good to go. The EXIF is now saying untagged RGB.
    But, I am not printing now. I want to make a CD and bring it to Costco or
    where ever. It appears to me that the Print space is sRGB but the FILE I
    save to bring to Costco is untagged RGB. How do I get it to sRGB using
    Elements..........or can't I.
    TIA,
    Mike

    Mike Anselmo, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Vadim

    KBob Guest

    These machines don't pay attention to tags. Convert all images to
    sRGB, don't merely "assign."

    KBob, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Vadim

    Flycaster Guest

    Yes, they use Frontiers that can't read profiles and expect all files in
    sRGB. Sad, but that's just the way it is for these machines.

    Flycaster, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Vadim

    Michael Guest

    Good luck with that. I called my WalMart and asked them if I they did any
    color correction. They said "yes", but they would not do color correction
    if requested. The next morning I brought my photos in and waited a half
    hour for the technician to show up. When I asked her to not color correct
    she told me that they never do that. I have been bringing in a couple of
    prints a day to see what differences my changes make. One day I asked one
    of the technicians what ICC profile would be best to use. She had no clue.

    Michael, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Vadim

    LLutton Guest

    Did anybody else notice that you have to convert your images to sRGB
    I just took a CD to Walmart. There were 12 images, all the same picture with
    different combinations of settings; RGB, sRGB, Windows Gamma (220), Mac
    Gamma (180), That Walmart Frontier Profile, and no profile. I use a PC
    (Windows).
    I was told there would be no color correction made by them. Differences in
    all the prints were very subtle so I believe the frontier machine does do some
    correction. The best print was using sRGB, that frontier profile, and
    surprisingly Mac Gamma (180). As I said though, the differences were very
    subtle. Windows Gamma had weak saturation and low brightness. The sRGB was not
    a surprise because most digital cameras use sRGB for the color space. Walmart
    expects digital images to be sRGB.
    Lynn

    LLutton, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Vadim

    mark_digital Guest

    Last year I was charged double the price for special handling I didn't ask
    for. They said it was for color correction. It was a mistake on their part
    and I got a refund. None of the pictures were any different than the last
    identical bunch from an earlier order. So, maybe they do color correction,
    maybe they don't..hehehe.
    My last order with Wal-Mart was minus the time date stamp I meticuously
    added to a corner of each print. Odd, those same images printed just fine on
    my dye-sub.
    I stopped having Wal-Mart print my pics. The pictures keep edging their way
    out of the photo album's plastic sleeves because of the matte finish.
    Mark_

    mark_digital, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Vadim

    Michael Guest

    WM was always putting a small white edge on the left side of my photos,
    and cutting off part of all four sides to achieve the borderless look.
    Here's what I did to compensate for WM oversizing my 8x10 landscape
    photos. The photo ends up with a small even border around the whole
    photo:

    1. First manually crop the photo to 4:5 (8x10) aspect ratio using the
    rectangular marquee and then image > crop.

    (I created a Photoshop action that does the rest of the steps.)

    2. Image, Image size, width 9.6 inches, resolution 300, constrain
    proportions, bicubic.
    3. Image, Canvas size, relative, height 0.18 inches, vertical, bottom.
    4. Image, Canvas size, relative, height 0.14 inches, vertical, top.
    5. Image, Canvas size, relative, width 0.1 inches, horizontal, right.
    6. Image, Canvas size, relative, width 0.3 inches, vertical, left.

    Michael, Jan 25, 2004
  13. Vadim

    Mon11 Guest

    I'm about to use Ezprints for the first time. My photos are captured
    in Adobe RGB on a 10d. My Photoshop workspace is Adobe RGB. My
    monitor is calibrated with a Optical via a Spyder. Ezprints uses a
    Frontier with sRGB. I have been told and understand that if I use the
    profile Ezprints provides for their Frontier machine to soft-proof my
    image, what I see while soft-proofing will be very close to what my
    print will look like (having sent them my photo with RGB). Was I
    misinformed? Thanks.

    Mon11, Jan 26, 2004
  14. Vadim

    Flycaster Guest

    Nope. The only thing missing is that you will need to actually convert the
    images to their profile once you're finished working on them. You might
    need to play with the "paper white" to see if that provides you with a
    better (or worse) match. Try a few test prints and you'll know for sure.

    Flycaster, Jan 26, 2004
  15. Vadim

    Vadim Guest

    Thanks a lot everybody. it was helpful. I'll stick to sRGB from now on.

    Vadim, Jan 28, 2004