Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ship, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. ship

    ship Guest

    Corsair Flash Memory seems OUTRAGEOUS wasteful of memory space...!

    Hi

    I have a brand new Corsair Flash Voyager Memory Drive (2GB).

    It seems to be ASTONNISHINGLY extravagant at storing data.
    Apparently I have filled up the ENTIRE flash drive (2GB ) with just
    0.98 GB (1,053,551,746 bytes) of data.
    [ It is taking up 1.90 GB (2,050,129,920 bytes) on the Flash drive...]

    Have I formatted the drive in the wrong way or something?!

    There are only 41,292 files located in 862 folders.

    Whereas on my Hard disk
    1.08 GB (1,170,048,529 bytes) of fits into
    1.18 GB (1,269,673,984 bytes) on the disk
    which is 42,336 files in 991 folders.

    Thus I make it that a mere 8.5% of hard disk space is wasted
    on my Hard disk, whereas my Corsair Flash drive appears to be wasting
    about 49% !!!

    - Is this normal?

    - Am I doing anything wrong?

    - Is there anything I can do (apart from Zipping everything which will
    take hours & hours!)

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    P.S. I am using Windows2000

    ship, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Ship,

    You can analyse the disk with my ShowMan program:

    http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/software/disk.html#ShowMan

    Select between: allocated, nominal and slack space.

    A quick sum suggests wasted space is 1GB / 41000 files, or 24KB per file.
    If you have formatted the drive FAT-16, then the cluster size is 32KB, so
    on average you would expect a waster space of 16KB per file, but if the
    majority your files are small ones (less than 16KB), then the wasted space
    could be more, up to a maximum of 32767 bytes for a 1-byte file.

    Try formatting FAT-32 instead.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 16, 2005

  3. ship

    [BnH] Guest

    You sure its the real thing ?
    not some steroid pumped Sony 2 GB Micro vault ? :D

    [BnH], Nov 16, 2005
  4. ship

    ship Guest

    Yeah I'm pretty sure it IS the real thing - it came in Corsair
    packaging etc.
    which I bought from Micro Direct (in the UK.)
    Though I'm not completely sure how to check?!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    ship, Nov 16, 2005
  6. ship

    ship Guest

    Like er any idea how to do that?!

    I tried reinstalling the utility that came with it but it kept crashing
    and finally I got Windows(2000 Pro) to do it for me...

    Are there any recent updates of the Utility for Windows2000 ?

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    ship, Nov 16, 2005
  7. Type "help format" at the command prompt.

    FORMAT volume /FS:FAT32

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 16, 2005
  8. ship

    ship Guest

    Okay thanks I'll try that...

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    ship, Nov 16, 2005
  9. ship

    ship Guest

    I thought it was going to work but then after I copied my mailbox.pst
    over
    it suddenly started giving I/O errors.

    So I have reformatted with the "Corsair Flash Voyager Utility" (having
    downloaded and reinstalled it). After MUCH hassle and archiving
    have managed to compress my data down to
    1.07 GB (1,153,020,975 bytes) which takes up
    1.35 GB (1,457,389,568 bytes) on the Flash drive
    (That's 13,385 files in 563 folders, fwiw.)
    - i.e about 20.7% wasted.

    Btw, how can I work out what type of formatting is in place on the
    Flash drive - it's definitely FAT but 16 or 32...?

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    ship, Nov 16, 2005
  10. ship wrote:
    []
    Ship,

    I don't have a FAT-32 disk here to check, but either:

    CHKDSK volume

    and see what the "type of file system" and "allocation unit size" say

    or:

    right-click the disk, Properties. See what "File system" type is
    reported.

    More complex:
    Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management

    will list the file system for all drives.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 17, 2005