    are corrupted in the mac, the mac copy corrupted files back to the
    card.

    any ideas ?

    gaschurman, Sep 24, 2005

  2. gaschurman

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Tsk. Bad. Hope it isn't a failing hard disk.
    Always check the photos AND make a backup before you erase the card.
    Learn from your mistakes.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 24, 2005

  3. gaschurman

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
    I had this happen once with .CRW files, many of the thumbnails in the
    RAW converter I was using showed similar to what you describe and
    converted files showed the same thing. Turns out the problem occured
    when the thumbnails were being generated and by deleting all the thumbs
    and regenerating them the problem went away (this was with an early
    version of Capture One, I think 1.3.1 or so). Do you have access to
    more than one RAW converter? If so, maybe try opening the files in a
    second converter and see if this was the problem.
    Now I never overwrite or even re-format a card until after opening the
    files in a RAW converter and seeing they are OK, then making a second
    copy on a backup disk before reformatting the CF card. But I had to
    learn this the hard way too :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 24, 2005
  4. gaschurman

    gaschurman Guest

    hard disk is fine
    I did check the photos and they were bad, but since was my first time
    downloading photos with tiger I thought it was related with software
    but files were ok. (I never experienced something like this a card
    reader modifying the files without telling you there's a problem)
    yes I did one more time !

    gaschurman, Sep 24, 2005
  5. gaschurman

    gaschurman Guest

    I opened with several converters, same thing.
    I tried deleting the thm , but still crw is bad.

    I just did a test at home, I took a picture and copy the CRW to my mac
    and then to my PC.
    put the 2 files in the PC and compared with ultraedit in binary mode.
    the 2 files have the same header, footer but differ in the middle (not
    everything just pieces)

    who knows ... maybe somebody will write an algorithm that will fix this
    problem but as far as I know I'm the only stupid with this problem.

    gustavo.

    gaschurman, Sep 24, 2005
  6. gaschurman

    Ed Ruf Guest

    I wish that was the case for me. Came back from vacation last month to find
    ~20% of my NEF files were corrupted upon transfer from CF to my Archos
    Gmini 220. Initially I found this by the thumbnails in RSE, but found
    problems with them and even a few others in Caption and PSE3.
    But that then requires you to have enough storage for a full day's shooting
    and always have a laptop with you.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 25, 2005
  7. gaschurman

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Sounds like the Mac has issues with the reader. Either deal with tech
    support of ditch it for another.

    FWIW, you can see my other reply to Bill, which shows you're not the only
    one to lose files.

    Ed Ruf, Sep 25, 2005
  8. Ed Ruf wrote:
    []
    Well, although I don't take a laptop, I do take enough memory for a full
    trip. This may mean up to 10GB of memory cards, as I shoot JPEG rather
    than raw (to reduce file size and post-processing time and effort). I've
    always done this, rather than rely on a storage device, although now I
    have access to a shared Epson P-2000 with 40GB of storage which I do use
    as a daily backup.

    Just the way I do things!

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 25, 2005