Corrupted Closed-Captioning Indicate Possible Disc Failure?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Confessor, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Confessor

    Confessor Guest

    I have a copy of the CSI Season 3 DVD collection (Region 1), and I watch it
    with closed captioning enabled, as the dynamic range is a bit difficult to
    accomadate in my current living situation.

    On the sixth disc, I noticed that the closed captions were very often
    corrupted, with wrong characters, obviously wrong positioning, and other
    anomalies.

    There were no video/audio stutters, or any other indication of a disc
    defect. The reflective coating had no visible scratches.

    When I opened the package, the disc in question was seated in its proper
    position, but the 'locking' mechanism held it much less securely than any
    of the other discs.

    Are the corrupted closed captions more likely to be associated with a
    damaged disc or a defective decoder?

    Confessor, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Confessor

    Stan Brown Guest

    It could be bad authoring.

    One of my cable channels routinely has corrupted closed captions --
    the others are all fine.

    Stan Brown, Aug 14, 2004